Pages

Friday 10 September 2010

Entertainment for the Poorly

My cold turned into flu and it's felt like somebody mean has taken over my body this last week. I'm still coughing like a tobacco chewing old man, but I think I'm me again.

I've had a bit of time on my hands to fill as I've sat around with all energy zapped.


I finished up Little Bun's Grape Beret while I watched repeats of Monarch of the Glen on UK Gold. Now she wants a Jolly Big Flower Brooch for it just like the one I made her big sister.


I sorted through some of the endless bags we have of the Bun's notes and artwork. Eldest Bun's groundrules for school aged six. My favourite is about keeping your lunchbox shut so the cat doesn't eat it.


I also found this poem. I can remember her telling me exactly what to write down for her before she gave it that extra something with her felt tips.


I also found a shortcut to something I've meant to do for the past four years. When we moved here I bought some Vanessa Arbuthnott Swallows linen for my friend Rachel to make into curtains for the sitting room. I thought I'd turn this panel into a small blind of some sort or other for the other small window. I've thought about making it quite a few times and then I find I just can't be bothered.


Being ill sorted that problem out as I just got a hammer and a couple of nails and banged it in to the window frame. Now that was easy and problem sorted.


I also kept myself entertained by moving stuff around and filled up this new Carltonware dish with some precious bits and bobs. My parents bought the watchchain for Mr Bun for his 4oth. It's dated 1914. He bid for the Victorian monocle on ebay an age ago. The Bun's like mucking about with that. I especially love the silver and ivory Georgian teether. It has a rattle and a whistle but no chain now. An elderly family friend gave it to Eldest Bun when she was a few months old. It was her husband's mothers and sadly as they'd lost both of their children when they were very young there was no one else to pass these things on to.


One of my other distractions this week has been fabric browsing. A parcel came in the post this morning and got my ideas a whirring. I'll show you next time and tell you my plans for it.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa hope this finds you on the mend!!
    Lots of lovelies in this post, that gorgeous blue vase of dahlias, pretty Carltonware dish and beautiful crochet and fabric! My favourite though is the 'Tickle Flowers' poem, wonderful! :)
    Have a good weekend!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are soon back to full strength - dratted nasty flu! I love Vanessa Arbuthnott too - and I like your approach to the blind - just bang it up there! I'm going to try that - I think we all spend too long procrastinating....now where's that hammer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear how ill you've been but good to hear you're on the mend :) You've been so busy with all these lovely projects! I love the that gorgeous blue fabric for the blind very much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flu is terrible, I've only had it once and will never forget how bad I felt and how it completely knocked me out.
    I do hope you are feeling much better soon.
    I love your Carltonware. My Mum collects it but I am never lucky enough to find any.
    I also love your idea for a blind! I might try that in my bathroom, it has been waiting for a blind for 3 years now.
    Thank you so much for the lovely comment. Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your little ones poem how lovely.

    Loved your way of dealing with pesky jobs that niggling at the back of your mind. Hammer them to the wall or frame. Love it! lol ;0)
    It looks very pretty too.

    Hope you are feeling better soon. Although I am sure a parcel of fabric was sure to of made you feel a little better.


    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Lisa, glad you are starting to feel a little bit better. I think my brain might have started working creatively again - finally and I have a few ideas for our swap! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better x
    Nice projects though to keep you entertained.
    Probably see you at a vintage fair soon. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be well again soon. Your talented and pretty daughter is sure to make you feel better and tell her her beret looks gorgeous on her. You know, I really admire your curtain hanging skills. Sometimes we just have to do what works best. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, Lisa, you tease! Sorry to hear you've been poorly, love those dahlias.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Just wanted to say that I have just spent the last hour reading your old posts, and I loved them!!

    Hopenyou feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are on the mend - you need to be fully recovered for Woodbridge in a couple of weeks ;)

    I love reading things my boys wrote when they were smaller - the best one is little sons letter to the tooth fairy that accompanies his first tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the most creative and industrious sick person I've ever seen. And beautiful work!

    I need to get in touch with you for good fabric sources. I am looking for a vintage-look fabric to cover my new kitchen chair seats with. It needs to involve pastels and a touch of black. You wouldn't think that would be so hard to find, would you?

    Keep on the mend, now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you ended up so poorly but hopefully you are on the mend now. It's lovely to look back at old notes and pictures from when your children were little, they bring back so many memories.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...