Pages

Thursday 2 December 2010

Kiss and Tell

Driving to work and back home again is good thinking time. I have about 45 minutes in the car -  just me, the radio and my wandering thoughts. This week an idea started to bubble away, fixing itself onto another idea I'd already had. When I got home I quickly scribbled my idea down and then waited for time to start making.


As I made up the designs for crocheted baubles, I started to wonder if I'd had a pretty yucky idea and if it might just not work.

When I started cutting out the blanket squares and choosing fabrics for the letters I was going to stitch on them, I knew I was making something I was going to like. 


In fact this is the first thing in a very very long time that I've actually made just for the joy of making it. I make things to sell, complete custom orders of designs, make things for my lovely girls and gifts for friends and family - but how often do I just go with the simple pleasure of making because I feel like it? Hardly ever.


I enjoyed it so much I must make sure I do it more often. In fact when I finished stitching the last bits of mistletoe on my Pucker Up Garland I found I'd made something that I can't stop looking at. I keep going back in for another look. Little Bun grabbed me when I was in there staring for the 100th time and said come on then. So we kissed under the garland just as we're meant to do. Except she insisted she was the boy and so I had to kneel while my head was grabbed in an eight year old's version of a smooch. Lovely, but a wee bit painful.


The photos I took of my finished garland are a bit hazy as I took them tonight once I'd finished. I couldn't wait until tommorow to show you as I'm so excited about this make. 

It's a random collection of inspirations. From my Mistletoe Kisses brooches and the Pucker Up giveaway I held last week; to Amanda Soule's and Tif's garlands; my desire to make something larger and 3d in crochet and my urge to finally get using some of my lovely fabric stash. All the fabrics I've used are from Donna, Sal and Jane (apart from the car boot blanket) - so I guess I could say blogging has been part of the inspiration behind this make too.







Now I've finally got my sewing head back on I've got quite a few presents I've planned to make. Including some jammie bottoms for Mr Bun in the bottom tartan brushed cotton and then there's the other gorgeous tartan. Now this was a bargain bucket offcut of 3m and I figured making something to wear for me fits within the Extraordinary Challenge. I'm getting pretty bored with my clothes and patching them up. I want to be bad and buy things I really don't need.


So the decision to be made is will this become a skirt or a dress. I have an Amy Butler pattern for an A-line skirt with the apron thingy so that'd be fairly quick. A dress would be great, but more likely to be cocked up, not fit and for me to stuff it in a bag and forget about it. I'll think about it.

24 comments:

  1. mm-wah! (that was a kissy sound) love it! Your girls must love getting home from school to see what you've made each day. Lucky things.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the garland Lisa!! The crocheted baubles are brilliant. :)
    Looking forward to seeing the tartan makes!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this garland. Ever since seeing your crocheted mistletoe , I've been thinking of how I could make some fake mistletoe to hang in our house. In Australia, there is no mistletoe to be found at Christmas, but it is such a lovely tradition.

    Maybe a garland is the way to go for me.

    Thanks for all of your inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much done even though you are working! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crocheted mistletoe and baubles are genius. Well done. I love your blog, I will be visiting again.

    Naomi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your banner.

    Making custom orders is not my cuppa tea.

    I like to do for myself. It just feels better.

    Then they are ready for giveaways.

    Holiday Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute!! Love the visual of Little Bun grabbing you for an under the mistletoe smooch. Nothing like 8!

    I'm not in a situation where I can do much crafting right now, so I'm living vicariously through you and a few other bloggers, and you are most definitely NOT letting me down. Thanks bunches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Lisa , I love your garland . The crochet baubles are great too. Looks amazing on your beam.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♥LOVE♥LOVE♥LOVE♥ the Kiss Kiss Banner! Love the baubles too! What a fantastic idea!I have made some mistletoe with the view to making something, but not sure if I can pull it off and it's sadly hiding under a huge pile of crafty mess at the moment. I am in crafty makey mode and boy do I make a huge heap of mess when I am like that!

    Congratulations to Scented Sweetpeas and to you for your bloggy awards. Very well deserved! Loved reading what you wrote, always nice to find out more about you!

    Hope you get to have a lovely snuggly cosy weekend!

    Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Just love the garland!
    Hugs
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great idea for a banner :) A friend of mine has made so many of those with different phrases.

    Love the tartan - if it was me I'd be making a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful is your garland! I'm not surprised that you're pleased with it! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smoochy, smoochy - a perfect hint to all those reluctant ones.

    Though you do know you'll have to kiss everyone that enters into your home now - milkman? gas man?? Mr Postie??? Or is that the plan????

    take care, have a wonderful weekend and I hope your not too snowed in?

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh hello, that's a gorgeous garland if ever I saw one! And though you've apologised about the light quality of the photos I think it suits the subject very well. I bet the blanket squares are so soft and touchy feely - mmmm. I love a bit of tartan and yours looks so snug, I hope you'll make something cosy with it to show us.
    And thanks for popping by - no I don't remember the Romper Room at all !! It sounds a bit kinky !!!
    Happy days to you,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are SO creative and clever with your ideas...LOVE the kiss,kiss garland,and the crochet baubles.Kirsty..take note! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its a great garland, I love time to think and mull over creative ideas its so important, we just don't get enough time to think. Baubles are really clever and beautiful colours I'd have them hanging all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh wow that is fab! My thinking time is always on the toilet - it is the only peace I get :-)

    Right you have inspired me to make sure i learn to use the sewing machine next year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fab garland, I am loving it, so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am smitten! And I love that you made it for the joy of making! Those seem to be rare and wonderful moments indeed, so nice to have that feeling of wanting to stare at it just one more time. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that!! Its so, so beautiful! So much detail, i think it is so great!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your galand is so lovely and all the better for the fact that you enjoyed making it, its all looking very christmassy :) x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny how ideas come on the drive to work, isn't it? Mine do too - its good 'thinking' time, whilst also concentrating on the driving, naturally! Love the baubles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cool, cute, great garland! So shiny. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...