Pages

Saturday 7 July 2012

The tale of this & that

After a wonderful week of celebrations and new museum visits thrown in as part of my job Friday finally came around. On Friday's I have hours stretching ahead of me. On Thursday I get excited about all the lovely things I'll have the time to do. I always want to do it all, but I only have time for a few things. Sometimes I'm sociable, I have great friends that I love catching up with, but sometimes I choose quiet time. My job is talk talk and listening all day so I relish the peace and quiet in my own head for a while before the weekend comes round. 

I had thought about painting the outside doors and attacking nettles that are taller than me, but darn it, the rain fell and fell lots more so I couldn't. Instead I found myself starting to make new stuff and then I went off treasure hunting.


I added some more squares to my Hotchpotch of grannies while I sipped my morning coffee and made my plans. As I always choose colours that complement each other, I thought it was about time to see if I could move away from that and just jump in with all sorts of colours that I wouldn't necessarily put together. I think this will be good for me and give me a new way of looking at colour. If I ever - ever finish this and it becomes a blanket (I've two more waiting patiently for something to become of them) I fancy it draped across our bed for a spot of cosy cheer.

By lunchtime I had the treasure hunting itch, so I dropped my hook and yarn, kissed Alfie Blue on the nose and headed off into the soggy day.


The fabric I'd seen last time was luckily still waiting for me at Vintage Mischief. As I was chatting to Danielle at the desk she was sorting through new things that had just come in. In a nano second I'd added the Kaleidoscope to my pile. I'd forgotten how fabulous these things are. We've all spent a happy time since oohhing and aaaahing at the patterns it makes. 

Then I was off to the papershop and added a magazine to my bag, bought jelly cherries and cola bottles for the Bun's and bought some lovely Larkspur from the Friday market flower stall.

Once I'd finished my shopping I drove my car back into Vintage Mischief's yard to collect a table that Danielle was very kindly letting me try for size (good sales technique I must say). 


We've really missed having room for a table in the kitchen, but as it's a cottage, the rooms just aren't that big. Not great when we all love stuff everywhere. Already Mr Bun has got excited about the formica cocktail bar I told him I saw at the fleamarket on Thursday and then there's the kitsch glass fronted cabinet I saw in a charity shop the day before. I said we've no room, but he says there's always room when it's luvverly stuff. His idea was to ditch the TV as a bar would be more fun than the rubbish on the telly. See we're as bad as one another really. In our heads we're already spearing maraschino cherries onto cocktail sticks and shaking cocktails furiously.


Anyways, back to my table. It's a drop leaf formica table and is just gorgeous. Too big for the room really, but we can work around that can't we. When Mr Bun got home before we headed off to the Bun's drama performance that night he fell in love immediately.


When the Bun's got home they took up residence with bowls of sweets and pens and paper. They're still sitting at it now and want to have all their meals in there too. So I guess the table's a hit and is staying. Now I've no space to put the ironing board up I might have to give up ironing too which is a sadness I guess I'll come to terms with for the love of our new table.

Now onto an announcement. You may remember that in May I decided to start a Craft it Forward where I would choose two winners for one of my makes each (plus a wee package of this and that). Once they received their parcel they would then hold the same Craft it Forward on their blog to spread the creative goodness around. With all that has happened with our family lately, it got postponed somewhat, but now, finally I've chosen two winners. I put the names in a bowl and my two lovely assistants picked out one each. Miss Rosey pulled out Annie from Knitsofacto and Little Bun pulled out Fee of Chipper Nelly. Well done lovely ladies and thank you once again for everyone who took part and left such interesting comments about why they love to create.


I think I'll have to sort out another giveaway very soon as I noticed this morning I now have 600 followers. It's always an odd thing to realise that quite a few people stop by here to read my tales of this and that. I always try to write as if I'm having a chat with just a couple of people so when I'm reminded that there are more of you out there all sharing the same love of things as me it's a wonderful thought.

Before I go I also thought I'd let you know I've  added a few new fabric bits to Bobo Bun's etsy shop and will be adding some more Happy Shopper's to the shelves very soon.


Now I think a day of stitching beckons before we head off for the Lord Mayor's Procession tonight (please don't rain again sky).

Have a wonderful weekend won't you.

30 comments:

  1. What a fab table! It's reminded me I have a breakfast bar with a very similar patterned top in the loft. It came with a tall stool I couldn't resist. The plan is to use it for sewing one day but clearing enough space is always the issue!
    Have a good weekend. So wet down here!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Convince yourself there is enough space Ellie. I'm sure you can fit it in as it sounds perfect.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just think that pieces of furniture just 'find' you? I have a similar Formica table ( no pattern on it ), it's my sewing table. I had been looking for ages about a year, when I stumbled upon this one and I LOVE it, I knew the right one would come along! Your table looks perfect- I think it looks very happy there! I will try and put a picture of mine up this week with my lovely, very old sewing machine, Clarice! Have a fab weekend! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're blogging at last and now I can go looking for you. Glad you've joined us all.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your lovely comment, Ive replied on there too, not sure how all this works yet! I can't quite believe I have found the courage to join in the party, it's such fun! The welcome has been overwhelming- I feel, as they say, going to have a 'blast', Ada :)

      Delete
  3. WE used to have a drop leaf formica table in the house when I was a youngster - so useful as you can open it up when there are more people and they're fairly easy to move ound too. I think your table is truly stunning! I can see why it had to come home with you!
    Have a good weekend - wet and horrid here today, hope it's better where you are.
    June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my other reasoning June, I thought we can drag it outside when needed too. The table thanks you for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. LoVe the table Lisa! And you pink fridge!!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink fridge mainly broken inside, but looks good all the same Victoria.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa

    Just found your gorgeous blog - I love the table and the serving dish - what a beauty! I will be adding Bobo Bun to my reading list :-)

    Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That table was meant to live in your house with your family!! Perfect!
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our girls have barely left the table since it's arrival. Why it's different to the dining room table I don't know, but it seems a whole heap more exciting to them.

      Delete
  7. Two surprises in this post for me, winning Craft it Forward - Yay! Thank you so much Lisa :D) - and my Mum's formica table! I kid you not, she had this table's twin in the kitchen of her old house. It looks much nicer in your kitchen though, keeping the pink fridge company :D

    Thanks again m'dear xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real pleasure. Glad we have the other table Annie

      Delete
  8. I love your table - its such a pretty colour. Your fridge looks really nice too - very Doris Day! Its raining here too and D is trying desperately to make a little patio area at the top of the garden but its so very very wet out there. Enjoy the procession. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're indoors watching him Lily.

      Delete
  9. Get the bar! Mr EF's mum had a bar in their front room when he was a boy and he still reminisces about it. You can put fairy lights on it and buy lots of miniatures and Babycham glasses! Great chance for more shopping!
    I really like your kitchen cupboards and looking at your worktops has reminded me how badly mine need oiling.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad woman. My Mr Bun is shouting from upstairs, we've got to get it please. We're parking behind the fleamarket today so might just check out the price. Sounds wonderful.

      Ours aren't oiled, wish they were. Keep meaning to sand all the varnish previous owners left off them.

      Delete
  10. Love that table- love teh pattern on it- I love the blues- You have a lovely, homey kitchen space. ;0)...When i was with Sophia's father we had a lovely cottage in a beautiful 'out in the sticks' village...my first table was just like that until family gave me vouchers as a moving in gift just b4 sophia was born and we brought a huge table actually originally for outside dining- alfresco style. Ive since painted it white for my kitchen- it folds down so is very useful at christmas time with lots of family.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely table, it looks right at home in your kitchen :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That table! That's all. Can say no more.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That table looks as if it came with the kitchen...talk about perfect match!!!
    Congratulations to Anne and Fee....lucky lucky ones!!!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lisa I wish I was married to Mr BUn!!! Can you get him to have a word with Steve!!! Love love love the table xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your perfect blue table. Mr. Bun has a wonderful attitude, get that bar!
    Hope the sun shines for the procession and you have a lovely time.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab table, just perfect for the job I reckon! Cola bottles are my absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That table is absolutely gorgeous! So worth working around! As for the ironing board...I sometimes opt not to bring mine upstairs when I need to iron something, instead I get out a nice thick towel (or tow not-so-thick towels) and fold it into thirds, then set it on my table and iron on top of that! I really works well and is much better than lugging my iron board around. Plus, you get pressed towels, which for some reason always make me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful drop leaf table!! Such a pretty color! The bread tin is really sweet, too! Happy weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, you have a beautiful kitchen! And I'm sure we had a table just like that when I was much, much younger! A bar instead of the tv? That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love love LOVE the table Mrs Bun!! even more gorgeous because it's patterned, pointy legged AND blue. you lucky thing xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the table too. Sounds like your husband is chilled out! If I ask mine about anything for the house he says- don't like it, we don't need it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...