Pages

Sunday 16 September 2012

Of Fleas & Golf

My dad played golf for over 70 years and was very good at the game. He loved it so much that when he was looking for a new house for us when I was seven and one came up on the golf course he bought it straight away. I'd got all excited about all the ramshackle farms mum and dad were looking at. I'd just finished reading The Family at Hilltop Farm and imagined myself with a flock of hens and a pony of my own. Instead I had to wait until I was 40 for my hens as golf won over farming.  Then he bought my mum some clubs and she fell for the game too. Now she's the Lady President and she's sorted out lessons for her granddaughter's who seem to love it too. I was a disappointment I guess as I've never liked joining anything and didn't want to play golf beyond eat the nice cake they serve in the clubhouse. Now we're up at 8am to get the Bun's there on a Saturday and lie in's are distant dream I once had. Mind you it does mean we seem to fit a whole lot more in these days.


After a lovely breakfast at my mum's while the Bun's putted and did their stuff, we then headed off to the fleamarket. I was thrilled when I saw these cocktail swords. I loved playing with them when I was a kid so for 50p I made them mine.


Around the next corner were too many fabulous things that we just didn't have the pennies for, but there was a coat that beckoned me. For £12 an old Hennes coat, perfectly old fashioned in style for me and in my favourite shade of green. We all agreed that it should come home, probably because it's a whole lot less than the other coat I keep lusting after.


For the Bun's we turned up a few more Bunty's. We had planned to head off to a 50's Fest, but Alfie Blue won the day. I'm still upset we missed this as it sounded fabulous, but we'd just left him on his own for too long as it was. The perils of having furries I guess.

At home I put my head down and started stitching the binding to the edges of my Beautiful Brick Patchy quilt.


By midnight it was all stitched up and ready to go.


I'm really, really rather pleased with this one. Miss Rosey said she couldn't believe I'd actually made it. For me I notice all the wonky pieces aswell as the bits I like a lot. Now it's made I'm itchy to get going on another one, but I really want to try something a bit harder this time.


I had meant it to be for our bed, but I think we'll need it to snuggle under downstairs.  Mr Bun also lets Alfie Blue sleep on our bed when he thinks I don't know and he's pretty stinky. All that stitching to have a stinky dog sleep on it. I don't think so you know.


24 comments:

  1. Brava!!! Your blanket is gorgeous!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the coat ... what a fab find! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misread a line up the top. I read "a pony in my oven" and muttered out loud "That's weird!" Duhhh. I should learn to read properly.

    Loving the coat. Swoony, what a lucky find.

    That blanket is a treat. In fact I need to go and have another look.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could fit a pony in the oven, but sadly it's too small Cuckoo. Good to hear from you and know you're ok.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely - I have my eye on that coat - I am looking for a threadbare one that I can patch (my children tell me that patches on the elbows are suddenly 'the thing' this season!!). It is a shame that I gave away the old hacking jackets that I used to have.....oh dear.
    Delicious quilt too - lovely colours all mixing and matching in a delightful way
    Many thanks for all the lovely bits
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blanket my husband used to let our stinky dog on the bed too don't let it happen to that blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That coat is gorgeous you lucky girl. I am on the lookout for a tweedy one this year too - doubt if I'll get lucky in this neck of the woods. I love the colours in your quilt definitely need to keep it for your snuggling this winter not the animals. I say this as both the cats are asleep on a lovely vintage blanket I've just bought! Have a good week. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Mike doesn't get Karen. He asks why am I so strict with the dog when I let the cats sleep over everything. They just don't stink do they. Fingers crossed for the Tweedy search, mine came when I wasn't looking so you never know.

      Delete
  7. OOOOHHHHH..it's finished! I LOVE it. I keep saying it but I am definitely going to make myself one like this. I have never quilted before so it wont be as pretty or as well-made but it will be made with love and hopefully, it will be nearly as pretty! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're going to have a go Nelly. Yes it will be as lovely as I've made loads of mistakes that only I know are there. I just jumped in and went for it.

      Delete
  8. Your blanket is wonderful! Yes keep stinky dogs off! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your beautiful blanket ... definitely keep Alfie Blue away from it's prettiness ... and your new coat .. such a gorgeous colour ... a very lucky find ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt, Lisa, it's a design Iove and even though I've done a few more tricky ones, it's the simple squares and brick paths I come back to. Gorgeous coat, what a bargain!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on finishing your quilt, it looks marvellous, far too good for a stinky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmmm nice coat, nice quilt! Good work x 2.
    I've lost my crochet mojo of late but have just ordered a big batch of cream wool to finally make myself a decent sized blanket. I told cleggy it was for winter and he replied 'what year?'. Obviously I see that as a challenge and will be rising to the challenge....fee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous Lisa! You must be so pleased to have finished it. I wouldn't let a stinker anywhere near it, nor Alfie Blue!
    Have a lovely week
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful coat, you just had to buy it!
    Love your quilt. I've done a bit of patchwork but I'm not very good so I've started on a Beginner's Quilting Course so I can learn to do the basics correctly.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the coat ... another great find! And the quilt is lovely, go you!

    I'm still waiting for my chickens and I've hit 50!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is so beautiful.... and I say, embrace the wonky bits! Only things made by machine are "perfect", surely? And I'll continue to tell myself that too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lisa
    I'm loving your coat !! Green is my colour too :-)
    And the patchwork is beautiful - yes, far too lovely for a doggy to have !! Though as I type, my favourite homemade patchwork quilt is being covered in black hairs by my much spoiled cat .....
    happy days to you,
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember those swords my Sindy was a pirate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello again,
    Thank you for your comment over at mine. It means a lot to me that you've taken the time to explain your own experiences and to share so much. Thank you! I've sent you an email too :-)
    I hope you have a good week,

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE your quilt, how gorgeous and so much gorgeous hand stitching too!
    I would have taken that coat home too, and the annuals also :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...