Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

It's a Cover Up Job

Those tunics I told you about in my last post. Well I finished them yesterday morning, just in time to pop one on before heading off to Little Bun's dance class. I made a couple at the same time as I'm getting very bored with my winter clothes. I thought some more floral attire would make me feel cheerier and more able to cope with this last bit of freezing greyness. All I have to do is look down and I feel brighter already.


I'd bought a metre of the new reddish aster print an age ago to make a tunic, but the blue fabric was added to the pile just out of pure love for the print. I find it hardest to decide what to use fabric for when it's old, therefore a one off and I love it. I worry that if I make it into something I won't like in a few months then that will be a real waste of something so lovely. Then I just stash it away and leave it there until the perfect thing for it to be dawns upon me. Some became a taking things out making bag and a bit more has become the most perfect tunic. I still have tons left for smaller projects so I'm very happy indeed.


I've quite a few of these tunics now all made from a pattern I copied from a friend. Most days I wear jeans. Skinny, straight, or a bit wider - in the summer I roll the bottoms up (but I do brave dresses far more then). Jeans are just so easy to throw on when you're in a hurry and you don't have a posh job (like me). Wearing jeans means there's more time to think about what's going on up top to make my outfit more interesting and make me feel happy. If I don't feel happy I always feel less confident for the day. To my mind I could look completely awful to everyone else, but as long as I feel good then I can get on with a smile.


I've always loved layering my clothes. I like playing about with colours and textures and then adding bright rings and brooches. In a nutshell having a cheery tunic is the perfect solution for me on a day when I'm in a real hurry as I can just chuck it on and feel good straight away. The best bit is it hides the less than best bits when my tummy is all bloated and sad.


Sometimes I wear my tunics loose and other times I put a belt around the middle to show I do actually have a waist.  I've made them all in different lengths depending on the look I fancy. The Bun's loved them too so they have a few in their collection (I sized the pattern down to fit). Miss Rosey wears hers as tunics and for Little Bun they're dress length. Which to be honest, this is a dress pattern. I'm so tall it's a tunic and on someone else it would actually be a dress.


Apologies for the fuzziness, bad light and different staff, but you get the general idea. When I was ironing the tunics Little Bun wandered in and asked me why I don't sell these as she thought other people would like them too.  I've been thinking for a while now about making different things to sell. It would be lovely to make all sorts of joyful tunics for other people to enjoy. I'm thinking of offering these for sale in my etsy shop with a selection of fabrics to choose from if all goes to plan. These are all just ideas at the moment so I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have on this one.


In fact all the ideas and support you give me here is always fabulous. I really have to thank you for that. 

Be back soon. Though goodness knows when as I'm doing an extra half-day again tommorow and then I volunteered to help take Little Bun's class to church for an Easter Service practice.

36 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! I think making them to sell is a must. I've never made clothes. Always seems to scary and as you said wasteful if it doesn't go to plan. I'd definitely be top of the list for something greeny, bluey, turquoisey!
    Have a good rest of the weekend.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes! I love layering dresses over jeans too ... Boots in the winter, flip flops/converse in summer! Wish I could sew ... These are just lovely

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love them , i love wearing things like this over jeans and i would definately be interested in buying one or two is it an easy pattern to do ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm a tunic fan too. I'm going the other way as I need some plainer options to balance out the myriad of florals in my wardrobe. Selling them is superb idea, can't find anything like these lovely things in the shops.

    Good luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore them, such a beautiful tunic
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look fab, so colourful and cheery, would definitely be ordering one or two! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are lovely and cheery and they look like they would be very flattering for lots of different shaped people. Selling them is an excellent idea
    sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these tunics, I wish I could make my own clothes. I think you should definitely make them to sell, I think they'd be really popular :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really beautiful, love the vintage fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful. I really wish I could make my own clothes. I keep thinking I should give it a try. I definitely think you should sell these. I'm sure they'd sell really well. I love things like that. Since becoming a Mum to two little boys I wear jeans or leggings most of the time and love pretty tops like that to go over them. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa all I can say is yes please! I love how these have turned out, just gorgeous. As I have got older I feel more dignified in a tunic and cardy and I would definitely buy one of these if you decided to sell them. I used to sew all my own clothes when I was in university but haven't made anything beyond a skirt since living in the UK. Fabric is so much cheaper in South Africa than here. I cannot sew anything without a pattern and hope to maybe do a little more sewing of clothes this summer xox Brilliant idea,go for it! xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think making and selling tunics is a grand idea... with or without short sleeves... and maybe sell the pattern as a pdf too... I'm wanting to make my own clothing and am really struggling to find any patterns that I like. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should definitely sell them, they're great. I especially love the blue fabric in your previous post. I love the layered look too - I can't really do it at work, it isn't smart enough, but I love it when I have a day off and go out somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tunic would be great if you sold them - I'm sure you would have a waiting list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. From reading the other comments and from my own opinion too - looks like its a no brainer!! Better get the sewing machine back out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent idea, love your style. I too love the look but unfortunately having an ample bosom, (mum used to say that!) I would just look 8 months pregnant, not a good look for someone well over 40! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really lovely. I've always been fond of layering up with a t-shirt and cardigan and these tunics make it really interesting. Loooovely fabrics x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new tops are totally gorgeous, love the shape,colours and fabrics.
    Am swooning as I type.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. put my name down for one!!!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. put my name down for one!!!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. i adore your tunics - if i was rich i would fill my wardrobe with them! fab shape and so easy to wear - get stitching!
    t x

    ReplyDelete
  22. they are lovely - fabulous fabric!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always think your tunics and dressess beautiful when you show them on here. Such pretty material you always use. And teamed up with those lovely bright cardigans no wonder you feel happy in your day!

    Go on sell them I think they would go down a storm!


    P x

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look lovely and I think they'd sell well. They remind me of tunic tops in Fat Face and Whitestuff shops which can be very expensive. I wish I could run something up like that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love them, the fabric and style is fab! Love the layered look you've got going on it's great in this weather so you can take off or put more on depending on the time of day and how warm it is. You should definitely sell them. Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes I would love to try a tunic. I am a short plumpy person who is in dire need of cheering up/making over. The only sewing I do is shortening trouser/pyjama hems. (4' 10" and size 15!!).
    Susan
    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the tunics! And that pattern could go far....imagine that tunic in a satin layered with a sheer and sparkelies on the band...could be a very dressy top also. I like a pattern you can use again and again as they are very expensive these days.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the tunics, you should definitley make them to sell, i live in these sort of pinny/tunic dresses they really cheer up a boring pair of jeans and can be worn winter or summer with a few extra layers bringing a little of summer into the gloom!! Catx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love, love, love! These are fab, Lisa. I'd certainly buy one, two ......

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yes that would be a great idea to sell them. The aster fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These tunics are gorgeous, much nicer than anything I have seen in the shops lately. I'm patiently waiting for the monochrome trend to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The tunics are such a nice, simple design which, like you say, can be worn various ways ... so versatile! This style would definitely appeal to a lot of different women. Looks great on you with the sweater and jeans :) I feel the same way about dressing to feel good ... I'm more productive that way too! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love them soooo much ! See you at little vintage lover Saturday - next to each other , cake and a natter all day ! Bliss ! X Emmie X

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love, love to own one of these lovely tunics! Its a perfect shape if you want to hide your tummy as i prefer.....Please, do add some to your Etsy shop - i am sure there are more out there who would love them! I think it would be a great idea to have some different fabrics to choose from and make them as customized tunics.
    Hugs from Christine in Denmark

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...