Pages

Monday 10 February 2014

Just the Two of Us

Miss Rosey and I treated ourselves to a Sunday shopping trip a couple of weekends ago. There were a few things she needed and a few things she fancied.

After getting her undies sorted, book shopping, the obligatory look in Jack Wills (which she loves) and getting her first pair of Doc Martens we had a quick look round for me. I headed to CK to see if they still had the dress I'd spied in the sale.

I'd loved this black floral dress all through the winter so I chose that and being a cardi addict added this one to the mix. Only thing is the dress is far too short for me. It looks ok, but I just feel too old to wear a really short floaty dress. I'd probably be ok if I was shorter, but it just looks too little girlie and daft on me at the moment. It  The hem is so meanly turned up that there's no fabric to let down so I'm trying to work out what to do. Should I add some plain black cotton with a lace trim between the two, perhaps a contrasting black floral, that's if I can find one. If you have any other ideas I'd be really grateful as I don't want to take the dress back, I love it.



The dress is still hanging waiting to be worn and the cardi has been worn again and again.



Fast forward to this Friday and my man and I were both at home with no kids. 
We headed up to the coast where we found a cosy pub for a half pint and lunch. Then it was time to wander the charity shops and vintage emporiums in search of goodies.

I was thrilled when I saw Teach the Time Owl. I always know exactly what I'm after, but fewer and fewer places seem to be selling it, so when I do spy something just right I'm very happy.


My man found this mum and pups and we just couldn't resist. I think it's the pink flat caps that does it for me.


A single melamine picnic cup was all I found in one box. It's the beautiful curve of the handle and that shiny shiny red that makes it so delicious.


The most exciting part were the fabric finds for that day. A charity shop, fleamarket and vintage shop turned up these beauties.


Now sure what they'll become as yet, but I'm thinking of bags, cushions and duvet covers at the moment. Both my girls need more grown up duvet covers, but I don't really like what's on offer so I'd better make my own hadn't I.


It's really important to have time for just the two of you sometimes. I really enjoyed my days out with Miss Rosey and my man, now I need to sort out a trip for just Little Bun and I. 

She especially could do with some just mummy and her time. At nearly 12 with all the changes that brings and being so tired from the second term of high school I just want to wrap her in cotton wool and ease it all. Some of the girls at her school could do with being far kinder than they are, but I've told her that's life and sadly we have to learn how to cope with the nasty people in life.

I'm worrying about her today you see, that's why I mention it. I was tempted to give her the day off as I'm working from home. That wouldn't really help though I know and she'd miss the great drama workshop she's signed up for. Being a mummy seems to get harder as they get older, not easier as I'd thought it would. On days like these I long for the end of the school day so I can see they're ok. Tonight we're meeting friends we've not seen for an age for cake after school  I'm sure that'll bring a smile or two. Then we're heading back to school where Miss Rosey is performing in a play in German playing Hansel and Gretel's dad. That's the other side of being a parent sitting through plays you don't understand. All I can say in German is that I don't speak German. Really useful!

27 comments:

  1. How does it look with leggings? or are they not your thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm a skinny jeans but not leggings, but thanks for the idea Judith.

      Delete
  2. Could you add a lacey edge in crochet cotton? Perhaps black with a bit of pink running through? I agree - I wouldn't want to take the dress back either.
    I thought parenting would get easier too: turns out the problems get a little less, but much more complicated and heart wrenching. Wouldn't trade it for anything though:)
    Jenn @JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sums it jenn, less problems but deeper ones. This ones deep and needs lots of hugs to get through. X

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I have the top in the same fabric as your dress and love it, it goes with everything, is easy to wear yet smartish. I think I'd be tempted to pick out a colour from the flowers and edge the bottom with a band of that. Two-tone dresses were very popular in the '40s as they had to make do with whatever bits of fabric they had and combine them. Or you could just go with plain black as you suggest. You could edge the collar and armholes with the other fabric too, to tie it all together?
    My Munchkin is the same age as your Little Bun and going through the same growing up phase. I have also uttered the "it's getting harder, not easier" words! I'm just willing him on to 18!
    Hen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your ideas Hen, I like the idea of contrasts and tying it in at the top. X

      Delete
  4. Lisa....Re your lovely dress, I agree with Hen...add some contrast dont go with black, and even add lace in a bright colour too... call it a "ck hack" and go for it!
    My 12 year old is a boy, but he tells me some of the girls in his year are very bitchy to each other.
    Commiserations coming your way...lots of love d x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm decide Daisy, no black, I don't wear or own black so what am I thinking. Thanks for your ideas. Girls of 12 seem hideous, mine just don't have that bitchy gene, I never did. As it's an all girls school there's an overload of it. X

      Delete
  5. I can't advise what to do with your lovely dress as I'm a complete imbecile when it comes to altering clothes. You've found some beautiful fabrics. I made a patchwork duvet cover in recent times which I'm very pleased with. It's interesting what you and some of your commenters say about the bitchy girls syndrome. My daughter has just turned 13. Her and a load of her peers are on sites such as instagram and I'm always surprised as to how lovely and complimentary they all are to each other (I stalk her accounts btw!) about their endless selfies and whatnot. I can't comment, however, on how they are in "real life." Pre-teens and teenagers eh? People have said to me that it'll get worse before it gets better. Oh joy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the new dress I can see why you fell for it I love a black background with colourfull details.
    I think maybe adding the black panel at the hem might work look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    I feel for you and your youngest. Though my youngest girl is only seven we have had a tough time of it of late and she has not been a happy little girl. And i am just working on a post today celebrating my eldest's 10th birthday and a little about parenthood. It is certainly a ride eh? Hope things sort themselves out and with the love and support she clearly gets at home she will come out the otherside stronger and wiser I am sure.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would probably wear it as a tunic with black leggings and boots - but then I can't sew well enough to add bits on! I am amazed at how horrid girls are to each other which doesn't seem to happen with boys. I went to an all girl school for several years and it was a little traumatic as I am not remotely competitive and just wanted to be left alone. They have such a happy family life I'm sure they'll be fine and as you say we have to deal with all sorts as adults. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry that your daughter is having these troubles, I hope that things pass very quickly and that she can get on with enjoying school and life. I see that it has already been suggested, but I was going to suggest adding a crochet trim to the dress and then perhaps some really thick tights underneath (nice thick!), I have seen where others have added crochet round a skirt or cardi, so no reason why you shouldn't add it to your dress and it is a lovely dress!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to know why Cath Kidston makes the dresses so short when her target market is most definitely not just teenage girls and surely she must know that! I ordered one at Christmas and had to send it straight back, I was bitterly disappointed as I loved the fabric. The dresses in the spring summer range are just as short, so sadly not for me. I ordered one from Sea Salt instead.
    Sorry to hear about your daughter but it chimes with what friends of mine with girls are saying at the moment. Sons are different, but not without their own challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely C.K frock, what to do, I think a nice wide bias strip of some red with white spot cloth and a couple of rows of black ric rac would look super, or a contrasting small floral print, don't take it back!!! Love the cup such a great shape. As for obnoxious characters at school I knew many when I was a student, and I hate the thought of my little one coming into contact with any, all I can say is it makes you stronger in the long run-but that is little comfort I realise, hope it improves for her asap, catx

    ReplyDelete
  11. the dress is beautiful, i'd wear it with skinny jeans and that gorgeous cardi! dresses over jeans are very comfy and look good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to say-severe cloth envy, love the yellow gingham floral-super find, catx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new things. I would wear the dress with leggings. I wear my shorter dresses with leggings and boots (and a cardigan if the dress is short-sleeved) all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds as though you had two lovely days. I'm sorry things aren't as great as they might be for little bun. My daughter has just turned 12 and is also finding school life makes her very tired right now. Hopefully little bun will keep making new friends and the less kind girls will fade into minor nuisances. Sadly M has had to deal with quite a lot of it since junior school, the upside is she is quite adept at dealing with it now and knows that she doesn't deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I second Hen's idea re picking out a colour from the flowers and edging it with that. I love the brooch! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always find such lovely things! I haven't got a blog at the moment but I am still enjoying blog land as a reader of fabulous posts. Thankyou for sharing..... Karen XXX (two cupboards in a kitchen) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the outfit & the CS finds…. well done! School can be very cruel, I wouldn't want to go back :( x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just had my bit of me time on your blog its so bright and lovely. thanks hx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the leggings and boots idea above sounds good although if you could find a very wide black cotton lace that on the bottom would also be cute. And making some new duvets sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful finds!
    That owl is just amazing!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Less usefully about all I can say in German is 'Do you speak German' !

    Loving the owl, envying you the cardigan, and understand the worries inherent in raising girls. Here's hoping you all have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think this is one of the best approach.duvet are looking so nice.i recognized you.you know,we are giving a gigantic plan in UK on extraordinarily shabby and range proficient prices.in which all lines things and each one sorts of towels, you need to use in step by step life e.g: Hand towels, shower towels, tea towels, cheap duvet covers, wraparounds, bed sheets and everything related linens.thanks for offering this information.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
    Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
    Skype : Jobz.Corner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...