Pages

Sunday 7 August 2011

Endings before Beginnings

In the blink of an eye our short break was over and the Bun's and I descended on Mr Bun with tales to tell late on Friday. I've been fiddle faddling getting our cottage just how I like it ever since.


On Saturday's food hunt I visited a wonderful roadside hut where you can buy the most spectacular dahlias ever. Can you believe I filled two jugs with these fat beauties for only 80p.


After we played Piggy in the Middle, we tickled the greengages and decided they needed plucking. They taste gorgeous, I need to find a few things to do with them before they go all squishy.


See that bright splodgy green and blue flower print underneath my plums? Well I spied that in a very high up cupboard that I don't normally go in at my parents. I got all excited about the look of that lovely fabric and wondered out loud if it could be mine for chopping up and sewing with. Well it turns out it was my bedspread in the house we lived in until I was seven. I can't remember it at all, but I really like the idea of using it to make a quilt to cover up the grown-up me's bed. 

My mum also bought this wonderful book to help get more making ideas going in my head.


I'm totally passionate about colour, so much so that sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the choices and then I just can't decide which to use when I start any new thing. What I loved about this book more than anything are the projects in it and the tips on knitting with different textures, playing with colour to achieve different effects. Like working cables in a different colour to the background. Stuff I wouldn't have thought of at all. 


Somehow my food finding trip ended up at the yarn shop. I had no choice really as I found that however big my stash I just didn't have any magenta. I love this colour mix and thought it would be a perfect start for the ripple effect bag I'd started first thing.


I also want to get my head around fairisle and the book gives some really quick helpful tips rather than go on and on which bores the pants off me. The bottom wavy one is called entrelac and for that reason alone sounds something good to try.
Starting all back to front - I've finally got to where this week all started. 
All my flowery knick knacks laid out in my childhood bedroom and now we're ready to go off for some girlie fun. On the way to our tacky seaside evening we visited my mum's friends restaurant. It's on the Norfolk Broads and has a repro Edwardian launch that we went on. All calm on a hot summers evening.


Next stop crazy pirate golf, deep fried doughnuts, candyfloss and glitz.


I managed to get the Bun's to ride the snails at the fair. I adored them when I was little. They slowly trundle along and roll down gentle hills and through tunnels. I've tried sitting clamped to a fast scary ride with my eyeballs turned inside out and have come to the realisation that the snail ride through nursery rhyme land hits the spot for me for thrills and spills.



We managed to fit in a day at the beach on the day that the whole world seemed to end up on it. After two hours I couldn't take it any more as the next load of people plopped down beside us so we trundled back to the little train to go into the town.


Icecream and cockles on the harbour wall before a wander and then scones in a calm walled garden. Mum and I felt better already.
Rainy days were spent lunching, shopping and playing games. It was pretty darned good to be looked after by my lovely mum who made sure we had a wonderful few days with her.

Now I'm off to start catching up with blogland again. See you soon.

20 comments:

  1. Totally Wonderful blog post this Saturday evening.
    Thanks for everything.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful time you all had, I love the fabric you had when you were seven. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time! Some great piccies.
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the weather is good there's nothing as much fun as a traditional seaside holiday and when it's bad nothing as good as being looked after by your mum!
    May I suggest a crumble with the greengages, that's what I did last week with some from my garden and it was delicious. (With evaporated milk... very retro!)
    Looking forward to having a butchers at your latest projects, I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by colour, I feel the same.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh such fun and beautiful photographs, a lovely memory post for you to reflect on in years to come. I love the knitting and colour experimenting book, looks like an inspiring book pushing boundries of what colours go together, beautiful xox

    ps. Mrs. Bun I was wondering if you had a pattern for your pretty hookycherries ? I have a v.special friend in South Africa who has a blog called hey cherry and I would love to make her some of these x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures! Looks like you had a great time :-). And those dahlias are enormous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post BB...especially the contrast of the calm water with the busy seaside front.
    Glad you all had such fun
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a wonderfull break away - you can't beat a seaside getaway x

    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you all had a well deserved rest! Can't wait to see your ripple bag - sounds fun.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the seaside ice cream pics so jolly and colourful and I have major dahlia envy, they really are happy flowers aren't they?

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely time, good old British seaside fun!! I have to say I'm hobby horses type of girl myself, you wouldn't get me on one of those huge scary fairground rides for anything!
    That book looks great. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a colourful and giggly fun post. I love the wool adventure and your tales from the sea side funfair.Have a super duper week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you about scary rides - they frighten the living daylights out of me! Looks as if you had a great time!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE seaside pics,these have warmed my cockles this chilly evening.... glad you had a nice break (but also glad you are back) :) :) :)
    x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you're having such wonderful fun these Summer holidays and I love the fabric and flowery things.

    I always wonder why people do that on the beach. They have so much space to choose from and then go and sit right beside (or behind in our case the other day) you. It drives me bonkers. One day I will turn round and say 'for goodness sake, be a bit more imaginative and go find your own little patch of sand!!!'

    Sorry :)

    Have a beautiful week.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful trip. That bedding is lovely and I love that you brought a selection of flowery nick nacks - i never really thing to bring things like that when I go away!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a fun holiday - I love all those bright seaside colours!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah lovely post - thank you for a calm interlude this morning! I can't wait to see your 'grown-up' quilt. That book looks good - I shall have a hunt for it myself!
    Jill:)x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely flowers and your bedspread print idea is charming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All those Dahlias for 80p! You hit the jackpot there! They're just gorgeous. That knitting book looks interesting, very interesting indeed. And how exciting that you're going to do some fair isle! Looks like you're having a fab time with your girls Lisa. Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...