Pages

Monday 19 September 2011

A Change is a comin'

Small piles of autumnal stuff keeps appearing here and there. Each time we go for a wander the Buns fill their pockets with some more of their finds. The seasons are definately having a change about.


After school last week I decided we needed to go and pick some blackberries before they all disappeared. I dragged the Buns and Alfie Blue off for a walk to find some and see if we could find those sloes that make that delicious happy making gin. We only managed to collect a jugful before the rain chased us home again.

Never mind we got more than enough blackberries to cover the stewed apples we turned into a crumble. All part of Saturday's warming lunch cooked by Eldest Bun. She's growing up and wants to learn to cook, which is find by me, so we started with Butternut Squash & Chilli Soup, followed by fruit crumble. A change of season and changes in my girl are afoot.


I'm also planning for those longer evenings cosied up by the fire that are coming.  I really want to learn new things. Usually if I want to know new stuff, I go through books and just ask around until I work it out for myself. This time I decided to go the quicker route and actually get taught a how to, so I've signed up for a one day Fairisle knitting workshop.


I did have a go at fairisle once before, but the wristwarmer only covered half my hand. I'm not sure if my problem's tension, amount of stitches or that fairisle just doesn't like me.

Even though there was a nip in the air, the sun was out this weekend so we made the most of the gorgeous weather. On Saturday we had an afternoon bike ride along the lanes running from our cottage and worked off that hearty lunch. The only hint that autumn is coming was the change in light.


On Sunday we had an afternoon at the coast to celebrate my dad's 85th birthday. We go every year to the place where he holidayed as a small boy in the 1930's. Normally we have a picnic on the beach and set up camp for the day. This year dad couldn't manage getting on the sand so we had a grand time strolling and playing on the prom prom prom.


And because he was a birthday boy we came back here for a tea party of champagne, trifle and cake to end the day perfectly.

12 comments:

  1. Gosh that countryside looks familiar! The changes in the weather and colours all around are exciting aren't they? Good luck with the Fairisle... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful countryside photo, ireland looks just the same right now, sounds like your dad had a lovely birthday. Love your knitting, can do basics myself but fairisle, i'd be dreaming, its lovely :D
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely random post!
    champagne and trifle? what's not to like!!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours in your knitting. I may have to pick up my needles and put down my hook!
    Treasure your dad (it sounds like you do) I miss mine like mad.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats one of the things I'm missing by being housebound at the moment - the changes in the seasons. When I got wheeled into town at the weekend I kept commenting on all the changes in the leaves etc. I think I'm to late for acorns, the squirrels seem to have beaten me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always sound like you have so much fun with your family, young and old. Hope your Dad had a wonderful day. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who can knit fairisle is a god in my book, come to think of it anyone who can knit is too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvellous way to celebrate! I am enjoying the change in season very much this year.larki

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOO is that Gorleston? we're frequent visitors when we stay at our caravan. We found Jaysjays too, which is delicious! Libby x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your dad, champagne, trifle and cake sound a great way to celebrate to me!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of your weekend :)
    roll on friday x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. love , love ,love the blog .not been on for ages .just smashing thanks me dear from hesta at green-glamour

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...