Pages

Sunday 16 December 2012

Memories

Last Sunday, when the girls were off doing their own thing, Mr Bun said to me I need to show you the most beautiful shop window ever. We walked a fairly short way, but in the freezing wind it felt like a very long way. I thought ungraciously, 'this better be worth it'.

Then we arrived at Junk & Gems and I knew straight away it was worth it. I should never have doubted or questioned as my man knows a good thing when he sees it.


The shop was closed and would next be open on a Tuesday. I looked at all the beautiful things in that window and thought of how much I would like to hold them. Now as I only teach a half day on a Wednesday I planned over the next couple of days to head over to that part of the city and have a rummage of my very own. Just before 12.30 a couple of friends called to take me to lunch. I kept quiet about my plans, enjoyed their company and then headed off to Junk & Gems.


Christmas treasure from the past is exciting and magical. These are just once a year things that have survived partly because they get packed away carefully at the end of the festivities. 

I took a few rolls of the wrapping paper to add to those already at home. I love this paper not only because of the feel and look of it. The paper is slightly thicker than tissue paper with garish colours and jolly bold designs that make me feel so happy to look at it again and again. I also love it, and this is probably the main reason I wanted it, because it takes me right back to childhood.

Mrs Leeder's sweetshop in the village I grew up in was packed to the gills with comics, jars of sweets, toys and at christmas this beautiful paper which Santa always wrapped my gifts in. I can still remember my dad taking me there late one evening to stop me crying before my mum got home. I chose a thick rubber bouncy ball, sherbet sand and a Twinkle. My tears had been brought on by Lassie finally finding his owner. I guess the relief was really too much for me and I just gulped and sobbed endlessly before my dad decided something drastic needed to be done. As this was the 1970's treats were only on birthdays and christmas, getting something on a normal day was a big deal which is probably why I remember it so clearly.



Buying old stuff isn't just about a love of the thing, it's about all those wonderful memories that are stirred up. Good memories that make me feel sad sometimes and squeeze my eyes tight so I don't well up. 

Now if you're eagle eyed you might have spied the Gumball Advent Santa in the shop window. Now he lives with us. Every now and then we pull the string between his legs to make his arms and legs shoot up and his eyes to flick back and forth. He has all the original gumballs behind all the windows, we'll be leaving them there.


Last night we decorated the tree. Gumball Santa joined all the other christmassy bits I've added here and there. I moved the deer bunting and put up my Kiss Kiss garland in its place. Not that I'm finished yet as there's a host of Santa's waiting to sit on shelves. Sometimes I wonder if I could do a stylish minimal as I do like it when I see it. Somehow in my hands loads of stuff gets added to the mix.


The Bun's made a wonderful job of decorating the tree. While I wound lights they went through the boxes with such delight at all the memories they were uncovering. Small tree crackers made by my Mr's dad when he was small, decorations made by the Bun's and others that we have given them each christmas.


All endless memories evoked by the past and the small rituals we are creating of our own. Simple things that remind me of so many other stories.

27 comments:

  1. Ahhhh that's a real Christmas window, as it should be. Full of delight, joy, wonderment and wishes.

    I'm volunteering my services to jarrolds next Christmas as Norwich is missing the cornucopia of The big stores

    I'm envious of your delightful shop, Mr Bun has a great eye for a splendid establishment.

    Merry Christmas gorgeous Buns xxxxxx Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarrold is disappointing this year isn't it Claire. I can imagine how sparkly and beautiful you'd make it if they'd let you in the windows for a day.

      Merry christmas beautiful Claire x

      Delete
  2. That shop window's amazing. What a nice man Mr Bun is for showing you. Christmas time seems to bring many special memories to the surface - hope you and your Mum can find lots of happy ones and not feel too sad this year. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's ok is my man Karen, how could he not be coming from your neck of the woods. X

      Delete
  3. Wonderful...ooh I wish that Mr Hand Knitted would lead me to such shops...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks wonderful! Well done Buns!!

    It's also a timely reminder that I've done nothing yet about decorations here, unless you count a small felt tree and some flowering hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a little sweet shop on the Island i grew up on and it reminded me of that- it was packed to the rafters with all kinds of colourful, wonderful sweets n chocs...I loved the fact everything had to be weighed then was poured into stripy paper bags...excitement overload!!!!.
    You and the buns have decorated your home so beautifully...such a wonderful Aladins cave of nostalgia and festive charm...merry festive wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...while working in Suffolk before heading off to the big smoke (london)over 10 years ago- i worked for my boyfriends mother in her wonderful hardware shop- I loved dressing the window for the christmas display...that shop had everything even a kitchen sink hehe ;0)...I used my dolly 'shane' as baby jesus in the window as part of the nativity scene and he was surrounded by kitchen wares and bucket n spades instead of barn animals hehehehe ;0) i'm rabbiting x

      Delete
    2. I love your rabbiting Kazzy and that my rambles have brought back memories of your own to share here.

      x

      Delete
  6. That's an unusual shop - lucky find. I like your cosy home decorations, have a very merry Christmas. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shop looks jolly tempting :)

    Our tree is going up today (finally) - can't wait to find all the decs - it definately won't be a minimalist tree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Magdalen Street Vicki, near the city gates and Artichoke Pub (the depressing end).

      Delete
  8. There really is nothing like christmas decorations to evoke memories. We always buy a few little things each year. And every year the trees get more crowded as do the shelves. I wouldn't have it any other way. Minimalism can take a hike in our house there is no room for it! Literally! lol.

    The shop window really was worth seeing look a lovely shop to get lost in. Love your gumball santa and all your lovely decorations.


    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah humbug to minimalism Paula. Do you think we'll find we can't move in our homes one day?

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post, that shop is heavenly! When I was little I used to help Mum with our Christmas shop window display, not anywhere as nice as this one, but we loved putting up the decorations and the toys Mum and Dad used to buy in for the season. One year there was the brightest Pink Panther stuffed toy, whilst we were putting it in the window, I wished it wouldn't sell, but it did and I was so sad. Guess what was sat at the side of my pillowcase (we had all our toys in a pillowcase, except of course bikes!) Pink Panther! She must have seen me looking longingly at him!
    I love Christmas, but you are right, there's always that little wish to go backwards, so we are all sitting around the table again x :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely mum Ada. Made the surprise and joy even better I bet thinking your panther had sold. Memories are good aren't they and we can go back in our heads at least.

      X

      Delete
  10. Just lovely, Lisa, gorgeous Xmas goodies. You are so right about the memories, I hope we're creating similar good ones for our small people.
    Hen x
    P.s. thanks for your message re the brooch. I am impressed by your restraint and hope you will be pleased come 25 December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the first time I've practiced restraint Hen so I'm equally impressed.

      Delete
  11. What a magical post - just how Christmas should feel. I don't think I can do a minimal Christmas either as I love to add all the bits which have special memories. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to be let loose in that "beautiful" shop Lucey

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I shall have to remember that shop for our next trip to Norwich, lots of treasures for sure.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning window display - oh the tins, the glass... I could gaze for ages.
    your home is looking lovely and Christmassy unlike mine. My girls are badgering for a tree but I keep looking at the sitting room and can't imagine where I'd put a tree amongst the auction purchases and general clutter. At the moment the bathroom is looking the best bet as it's the only civilised room in the house!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful post...full of lovely Christmas memories..I love your decorations, it all looks so warm and cosy
    Special winter wishes
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knock, knock
    Cooeee - just popping round for a mince pie and anything else that might be on offer! Lovely shop window - and indeed worth the walk. Love the cosy decorations too
    Best of the festive season to you and yours
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...