Pages

Friday 16 August 2013

Funghi & Checks

First week back to work after six weeks off was a bit of a shock to the system. I struggle with routines, and well I struggle with lots of things that mean fitting into rules and regulations to be honest. I've been trying really hard to get my body clock back to work and school hours. At my natural rythmn I'm wide awake late at night and like a zombie at 8 am, so even earlier is pure hell. The world ticks to another time, so I have to sort myself out every now and then to fit in again. I also missed my girlies and the freedom to do as we pleased every day, but thankfully I have a job and also long weekends with all of them. They had a great time at Grandma's and we had a bit of time to be just us. Now whenever I think give me space if they're driving me nuts I'll try to remind myself how much I hated the peace in our house. I thought come Tuesday night, this is what it'll be like when they leave and I didn't like that reality at all.

Now on to matters of a making nature. Alongside missing my girlies, I kept planning more and more stuff I wanted to make when I had the time to.  I also popped in various places and bought a few supplies for Friday stitchery. Rain was planned for today and as I was minding a friend's children while she was at work I thought a home day would do us all good. The girls made video's and then sewed their own felt brooches so all busy bees you see.


As you can see my mind's turned to checks. A real change of direction for me from my usual florals, but since getting my Japanese dress book I've been picturing the designs in checks and more simple patterns.

I also popped into a certain lady's shop and grabbed a couple of bits that I'd fallen for. I've been a toadstool fan since reading my first Mabel Lucie Atwell annual aged six and feel drawn to most designs. Little Bun had talked me out of buying a toadstool bag before as she said it was too expensive (when you have an 11 year old moral conscience shopping with you it can be disconcerting). Buying teatowels at more than half the price, I reasoned, was a blinking good plan. I also just had to have the brooch too, especially as it was the last one.


I didn't buy these teatowels for the job intended neither you know. I had a plan to turn them into my own bag, a Happy Shopper bag to be exact. Once breakfast was done and dusted I got going, along with a sleepy Lily kitten who flopped in an exhausted heap for company.


A wee while later the bag I'd pictured in my head was born. I've only added a white trim at the moment, but I feel it still needs something else, maybe red buttons or a flowery brooch, we'll see once I've stared at it for a bit.


This one is most definately a keeper (in case you've got your eye on it my naughty gnome lover pal) and will be used daily methinks as I love it.


I really don't think you can have enough bags, or shoes, or brooches, or rings, so if you can make your own it does make it all a bit better on the purse strings.


Somehow it was quite an industrious morning, just lovely being at home with everyone. Alongside making the Toadstool Happy Bag, I ran up a new top, which to be fair I did cut out the shapes for late last night. I also stitched it the wrong way late last night. This proves my brains too tired for concentrating on stitchery at midnight so I'll not be doing it again as it was tedious unpicking it all this morning.


I went for another Scoop Neck Overblouse in the blue checked seersucker as I loved the shape so much. This time I changed a few things. I left off the neck frills, made the sleeves less full and used a contrasting bias binding tape (I always need a bit of floral somewhere).


With the first top I made for myself I didn't gather the neck up as much either so it scooped across my shoulders. This time I pulled the gathers tight so the neck was as intended. It does drape far better being gathered up properly to be honest.

 

Now after such a productive stitchy morning we do have some buns I made to munch on, but no other real food. I've made the superb decision of going to get fish and chips and cheesy pies for the non-fishy eaters here so we can put off food shopping for one more day at least.

* quick note to the lady who said hello in JL. I realised on the way home you meant lovely hairdresser Jane, sorry for my vagueness.

Ta ra for now, off in search of unhealthy food.


27 comments:

  1. The bag is gorgeous - and from the looks of your stash pile I'd say your tablecloth has been sending you subliminal messages. A good thing too as that top is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Carie. It does seem my tables been sending out subliminal messages doesn't it.x

      Delete
  2. That bag is a real keeper Lisa, I adore it with all those magical toadstools :o) Your sewing puts me to shame, i am loving the look of your new sewing book, my kind of design love. A colleague has lent me her tunic pattern which i am going to try sew this weekend. I have been back at work this week, not fun... We are off camping next week, i hear a heatwave is coming, lets hope anyway xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll do great with the sewing Penny you always get going really well with all you do. X

      Delete
  3. Your new bag is really pretty, who could resist a toadstool!
    Love the new top too, like the binding you added.
    Enjoy the chips.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a little compare and the neck is definitely better on that one, I t looks really good. What a busy bee. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Jo. I wish I'd gathered the other neck more now, oh well live and learn. X

      Delete
  5. A lovely post, have a good weekend! best wishes jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bag, what a great idea! Love the top too ...

    Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Claire. Wonder if a few more of these bags will pop upx

      Delete
  7. Ooooh i love that cloth, it makes a super bag, my little one is also a toadstool fan and has converted me too,(cheeky suggestion- bit of red ric rac maybe on the lace?) Your top looks great too, i never think of using plaids but it looks very classic and chic-ly french. Hope that you are adjusting to the time change,it must be a bit of a shock after 6 weeks especially as summer is still clinging on. Looking forward to seeing what you create next, and living vicariousley through you as i can't get on with my own stuff til these flaming costumes are done!! Hopefully see you soon, Catx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to a crafty meet up Cat. Maybe well tackle that knitting. X

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Tx Linda. It's one of my favourites already.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, pretties! And I too LOVE the new top :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toadstools seem so magical, don't they? And I love the new top too!
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post...i saw the mushroom design in exeter in the ck there, i thought how much i liked it on her bag designs- but now ive seen yours its so much more lovely with your own personal stamp on it. i have noticed now that ck is a very very well known brand that a lot of her designs look more high street, i feel shes lost a small bit of what i adored about her. other than being rather pricey i mainly go into the shop for the displays and pretty embroidered wall pictures...thanks for your lovely message on my blog, i dont seem to comment so much these days~ im getting a bad blogger...but i so love the messages. I too love looking through articles on family homes with creative families. it was a childhood id never change even though i can still remember my parents one christmas not being able to afford essentials like bread and wood, coal for the fires~ having an artist father meant half the year we were really broke and then he'd have an exhibition in london and we'd be sipping wine with the rich and wealthy...my mother found it a real struggle but when she started working for a newspaper and a council office it gave her a wage to keep us afloat on the bad times in the year. My mother was also an artist, but always a hobby. she would hold garden drawing parties in the family garden...i remember loving as a child all the ladies sitting in their sun hats with drawing boards painting the flowers in the family garden...we didnt have the best of everything but i loved what we did have...

    you are soooo talented with your dress making. my nanny made all her own clothes~ my twin has that ability too. my nanny made me and my twin sister a coat each in one weekend.

    your two beautiful girls are lucky growing up with such a talented mother in her home and craft. they will have such happy memories they'll never want to leave ;0)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Kazzy and especially about your childhood. What a star your nan was to make two coats in a weekend. Blushing as always from your compliments . X

      Delete
  12. The top looks great on you!

    Where do you get the toadstool tea towel?? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Lise. Tea cloth from mrs Cathe Kidston herself.

      Delete
  13. :) :) looking forward to our catch up and of course I will be bringing the toadstools and cake. !
    Love NGLP! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're a good GLP then and don't leave the cakes at home. X

      Delete
  14. I love your Happy Shopper bag......very happy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your bag, love your tunic and love that Lily Kitten. I am sitting looking at my sewing machine thinking!
    Have a lovely week - apparently the heatwave is returning. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...