Pages

Sunday 27 April 2014

Wrap Me Up In Plastic

Not literally, please, no kinks here. It's just that I love the plastic stuff you know.

Bright colours, pale pastely colours, kitsch designs and downright great to wear everyday designs hit the button for me.


I wear a different coloured ring everyday. My hand feels far too light without the weight of one. My man even chose a bright blue plastic ring for our wedding day as his excema won't allow him to wear a ring other times. 

I'm always on the lookout for new rings. I've quite a few in the waiting to be glued back together again pile. When in need of a new colour ring I always turn to Daniella at Acorn & Will as her rings are my favouritest. Handy then that my friend Ruth stocks tons of Acorn & Will in her shop Glory Days too. 

Setting the link to Daniella, I spied a pink elephant brooch that has brought on the wants - oh dear.


Alongside rings I also wear a brooch everyday. From felt ones, crochet ones to plastic fantastic ones - I love them all. Some are missing as they get lost on coats and cardis all over the place. Great joy when they're discovered again, just getting a new brooch once more.


To tell the truth I get covered in quite a bit of plastic, 'cos I also pop on a plastic bangle each day to jangle on my wrist. 

Plastic toys always get the big thumbs up from all of us too. 

On a quick Sunday Co-Op shop with my man we found this little frog pair abandoned in the sweetie pile. Frogs give me the creeps because they're too like my worst fear ever (can't even write the name of the thing that's how bad my phobia is), but these are plastic and sweet so I can cope.


Mr Fish is a much loved favorite of mine. Bought from Daniella, must be five years ago now, when she used to come to our Pick 'n' Mix Makers Markets. Her stall as a delight of plastic kitsch goodness won the sweetie jar for best dressed stall.


Hand cream apple bought for me by Little Bun will sit by my side even when she's empty.


Add to all of this the wind up toys, the hopping and spinning toys, the games and throw in St Clare of Assisi the Patron Saint of TV and you have a happy collection.

St Clare entered our lives as did so many other useless, but cheered us up plastic things from a fabulous shop in Brighton called Cissy Mo. We couldn't find them when we last visited which was sad.


Other plastic friends adorn the kitchen windowsill to make washing up a better experience.

Add to that a love of tins, tin toys, fabrics, baskets of yarn, books and so much more and I wonder how we even manage to fit into our cottage.



Plastic is Fantastic don't you agree?

27 comments:

  1. I agree !!! Plastic is utterly fantastic !
    It reminds me of my youth in the seventies, when everything was plastic (except at my home, since my mom hated it... pfff...)
    Love those swans, and the wind up ducklings ;-)
    But my favorite item in all of your photos is not made of plastic, it is the photo next to your hand cream apple... soooo cute !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely image isn't it Ingrid. It's by Cecil Beaton of a three year old called Eileen Dunne taken in 1940 for Children at War series.

      Delete
  2. Oh! The swan - is she hollow? I had one like her for Easter in (ahem)1958, when was 4. She was yellow and my brother had a blue one. They came with little hollow chocolate eggs inside and an egg shaped soap wrapped separately but attached to her neck (much to big brother's disgust --- soap? I'm a 7 year old boy and we don't DO washing!)
    Mine lives in Ghana now as I gave her to a little girl I looked after. She loved to float it in the paddling pool. She chose to take it when I offered her any toy from our collection and she took it back to Africa with her. She tells me in every Christmas card she sends that she still has it.
    Plastic in lovely colours was quite new in the 50s and we thought it was wonderful to have toys that could float in our bath! How times change - can you imagine life without plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a really lovely story. Now I have a better idea of what mine might have been used for Jenann. X

      Delete
  3. To be honest I'm not much of a plastic fan, the colours oh yes and I luv those brooches but I also like stuff that decays, rots and changes over time, stuff that shows it's age. What I do love is how everyone has different things they love and how sharing those things makes us think about the stuff that makes us tick! Sorry got a bit deep there! That piece of stained glass in one of your pics really appeals to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deeper is good. I always fear that I bore the pants of people because I get too intense so I wouldn't worry about it Steph. Stained glass came back from an early morning market in Brighton. Been travelling with us for a few years now. X

      Delete
  4. Oh yesssss but especially plastic swans!!!
    bestest daisy xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plastic can indeed be fantastic, especially in your bright and colourful choices! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly in love with it and far too many other things. X

      Delete
  6. You are a girl after my own heart. I have a large collection of brooches and I wear a different one each day. My name on Ravelry is Plasticfantastic... need i say more!
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't Jacqui, what a fabulous name I'll check you out when I get on there.
      X

      Delete
  7. I love the brooches, and have a couple but am always worried about snagging knitwear with them. So they sit in a box... I know, I know... I can hear your outrage at my keeping them hidden. At least have them on display? OK, I'll sort it later....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad woman. Yes you must at least display if you're not wearing them. I'll be back to check! x

      Delete
  8. I'm totally with you on the plastic and brooch love. I have endless plastic rings, and I love the feeling of them on my hands. Brooches finish off an outfit too, but like you, I lose a lot on coats and cardigans! It really is like christmas finding them again! ha ha!

    Have a super week!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there were other fans out there Vanessa.
      x

      Delete
  9. I love all your 'plastic fantastic' but I love the photo of the ailing little girl in her bed the most!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a poignant image. Cecil Beaton took them as part of a collection of children affected by the Blitz called Children in War. This is Eileen Dunne aged three in 1940.
      x

      Delete
  10. I love plastic. I need an apple hand cream, do know where it came from? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paperchase Dottie May, but I'm not sure if they still have them as always changing designs. x

      Delete
    2. Whoopie, just ordered two as I love them so much, in the sale too! Thanks so much. Love your blog so much and your home xxx

      Delete
    3. Very glad to be of service DM. Shucks, thanks for your kind words.
      X

      Delete
  11. What a trove of treasures! I love your collection. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful bits and bobs, I love Acorn and Will. I want your swans, I have lots of china ones but never seen plastic ones :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Love your blog, would you mind if I put your photo of the plastic brooches on my pinterest board of brooches?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...