Pages

Wednesday 28 April 2010

One thing leads to another

Charity shops and the car boot are a good feeling sort of shopping. The rules of real shopping don't apply here. You might set out wanting something specific, but there's no guarantee you'll ever find it. You will find lots of stuff you never knew existed, that you loathe from 50 paces and sometimes that elusive something you've lusted after for a while.

I bump into friends at the Boot who have a good eye and yet we still find different things that the other fails to see. It's a proper grown-up treasure hunt all of your own.

Treasure found this week has been good so far. This curtain panel is destined for a cushion cover for Eldest Bun's bedroom. The colours inspired me to use some of my cotton stash to start another Colour Blob white cushion to go with it.


I spent a happy couple of hours this afternoon whirling these colour blobs up and have just started making their ice cream white edges.

Hooks and coloured needles have been found everywhere lately. All the CS's seem to have a blackmarket stock. So don't forget to ask what they might have hidden under the counter.


The last two weeks of Booting have been rainy and pretty poor on the treasure front. Today the sun shone, I bumped into friends, had a laugh with some old Norfolk boys who were buying strange things to put potatoes in with and found some luverly china.


There was only one cactus teacup to four saucers in this adorable Meakin set. I've been trying to find out what the range was called so I can try and find some more cups. If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful. Mr Bun has fallen for these completely so they're staying firmly put in our cupboard.



Handpainted china cups and plates which always call out to me.


Talking to the old boys, I found this set in the middle of the gardening tools. A bit of pretty covered in muck and mud.


On the way home I had a library stop. I unearthed a good book for a spot of inspiration and a collection of Larkin daydreams for the Bun family to cuddle up to over a few evenings.


I've noticed I have quite a few new followers lately. A lot of you don't have a blog, so unfortunately I can't pop along and say hello. Please take this as a hello and thanks for leaving your calling card. I also really appreciate all the comments you leave me. I'm not always as good as I'd like to be at getting around to say hello or thankyou back. We all need a few more hours in our days and I think we'd get quite a bit more done.

21 comments:

  1. I just love the idea of blackmarket knitting needles. :)
    Your crochet colours are great!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love The Darling Buds of May and how beautiful was Catherine then? So innocent looking!

    Lovely crochet, quite proficient. Great colours.

    Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa
    I love the cactus set! ill keep a lookie , hope you are well and hope to see you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your china cups and saucers...lovely finds!That's what I find such fun about car boots too,you never know what treasures are lurking in amongst the 'tat'.
    Enjoy the bank holiday weekend!

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab car boot finds and I love those ice-cream coloured crochet circles. Please let us know what yarn you are using.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog today! It looks like we have lots in common sharing a passion for crochet, hens and guiny pigs too! Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty china! I've only just caught onto the fact that CS hide the knitting needles away, then I always forget to ask. My husband thinks I have too many pretty needles - but you can never have too many can you?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have quite a few coloured needles but have yet to see hooks in the CS - must look out for those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the car boot season myself (just done a little blog post about my finds)all those lost treasures !

    Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just found your lovely blog and plan to read all of your posts over the next few days.......i'm loving the cactus cup too! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My coloured needle collection is slowly growing - yet to see any hooks though.

    Love the icecream coloured crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wahhoo for carboots and charity shops, they are so fun to buy in as you never know what you will come out with. I bet all the people doing the 'Challenge of the utmost kind' are very happy carboot season is up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What treasures! I love that beautiful china, sounds great fun your boot sale day. :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for popping by, lovely to meet you too - love the colours you've chosen for the crochet !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those colored needles and hooks! They would look wonderful in my living room as I have a poster hanging in it with all those colors in it. And my little guy collects cacti . . . CUTE cup!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh what a fabulous haul! Love the cactus set; my gradma worked for the Meakins pot bank for years. She like many workers moved around factoris and I have some of the Mason's plates made when she was working there. She met my grandad "on the pots". She stuck handles onto the teapots he made - ahhh, the romance!

    I fell in love with the beautiful views your girls have from their windows, what a lovely home you have.

    Happy crocheting!
    Stephx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been trying to learn how to crochet without much success, and your little rounds have me green with envy. Everytime I try, I follow the directions, and end up with a big circle of beginner stitch, no matter how I try to turn corners and make a square. My son keeps telling me to stick to knittinf socks...... sigh. Your color choices are fabulous. More pics of your lovely crochet please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with Mr B - the cactus is definitely a keeper.

    Lovely thrifted goodies as always Mrs B - you certainly have a wonderful eye for these things.

    Have a lovely, lovely weekend,

    Nina xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm never as lucky with my finds. This might be off interest for you - http://homesweethomestyle.com/productinfo.php?product=1262&PHPSESSID=4dd479c7c91cd30078a165eacd74f08e

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love The Darling Buds Of May, wish they would make more of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I work in a charity shop and our needles are under the counter too. Health and Safety strikes again because they are deemed to be offensive weapons!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...