Pages

Monday 14 June 2010

Production Line

Hello there to my new followers, thanks for coming along. I'm sorry I haven't popped by to visit you, but for some reason my blog is refusing to show me any links to followers.

Now what a great day I've just had.

A lovely lovely lady who is opening a shop this summer in Norwich called Glory Days asked me a wee while ago if she could buy some of my work to sell there. She came to see me today and placed a pretty large order with me. We managed to talk the hind legs of a donkey or two as well.

It's all very exciting stuff as it is so lovely knowing you aren't fooling yourself by following this urge to make. I knew the shop would be great as she's stocking Hope & Greenwood's sweeties, Kind Hearts Clothing, Acorn & Will and a couple of other makers from our Pick 'n' Mix Market. I'll let you know the opening date and how to find it very soon.

Before she visited I got into full production mode to have enough to show.

At the start of the line.


I was hooking and stitching until I was happy and it ended up in one of those baskets further down the line.


Now I've sold to shops before and I've never felt happy with the whole deal. It was either a 40% cut of my profit or sale or return. The whole nature of handmade is that it's time consumming. Anything made with passion and care takes time. This makes it very hard to give over a huge chunk of your hard earned profit to someone else, but then they are getting your work out there for you. Now the best and ideal deal is when an order is placed, paid for up front and the prices paid are agreed between maker and buyer so everyone's happy.


Now I've got quite a few things to get making as well as having enough stock for the summer markets and to get my shops shelves filled. Busy busy as always.

I seem to have finally got my head around production line working too. I've always made each piece and finished it in one go and then moved onto something else as I get distracted easily. Now I've figured out how cutting out and making up all the bits and bobs I need really is a much quicker way of working.


After all this hard work there's always a reward.


At the end of the line Pretty fizz, followed by grown up fizz later on.

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been working hard. I love the crocheted bunting, I would definitely buy some of that if I saw it in a shop, the crocheted flower brooches are really pretty too. Good luck with your venture.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the luck in the world with your new venture.I'm sure your lovely items will fly off the shelves!

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, well done you. It is really hard to get this pricing thing right for wholesale and I often feel I am expected to make at a loss. Not always sure why these people go for handmade if they want to pay factory made prices. Ah well x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Lisa!!
    I know exactly what you mean about prices and selling through shops.
    I'm sure your lovely makes are going to sell really well, best wishes with your new venture! :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Lisa and well done you.

    Best not hold you up....

    take care,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will lwt us know when the shop opens? I'd love to have a look next time I'm in Norwich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with it all!
    I'd like to go and have a look at the shop too at some point as we are planning a trip to Norwich over the Summer!
    Ali
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, that is such good news and particularly as she bought rather than SOR. Retailers in London take up to a jaw-dropping 75% commission so actually 40% isn't so bad, although it's still a bitter pill to swallow. I'm sure you'll be providing her shop with your wonderful creations for many years to come.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mrs Bun, so exciting for you ! :) cannot wait to see you at Bury- and yes we will be nestled together for our vintage chats ! looking forward to seeing you and your lovely items xxx emmie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wish you well in your new venture - hope you mke loads!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gorgeous!

    There is definately something to be said for production line working, so much gets done and you get into a rhythmn, hypnotic almost. I still get very draen into making and completing one thing at a time as I get bored easily. I don't think I'd get bored if I were producing consistently delicious stuff like you do though.

    I love your blog Mrs Bun, it's super great that you have got an order and you are happy with the deal too. Brill. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous gorgeous!

    There is definately something to be said for production line working, so much gets done and you get into a rhythmn, hypnotic almost. I still get very draen into making and completing one thing at a time as I get bored easily. I don't think I'd get bored if I were producing consistently delicious stuff like you do though.

    I love your blog Mrs Bun, it's super great that you have got an order and you are happy with the deal too. Brill. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your new venture, I am sure it will all go really well for you. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your mass production! Well done for the new venture you must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your work, will have to look out for the new shop as I am just outside Norwich. kind regards, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a good agreement which you are talking off, so please take my congratulations for it, you are a very lucky girl. It´s always wonderful to get a good price if selling to shops and both parts want to continue their partnership. Wonderful, but also very rare I fear, so All the luck for you and your new partner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...