Pages

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Sport and Crochet

This sweet Atwell biscuit tin came in the post this morning. I won it on ebay, and now that I have it I like it, but I don't love it. It's too modern in my mind. For me Mabel Lucie Atwell is pixies, Boos and beaming 1930's children. So I'll keep it for a while and maybe soon one of the Bun's might steal it away to their room to hide treasure and notes inside.



Today was the Bun's school sports day. Siblings were put in different teams doing activities all over. So there I was dashing from one side of the field to the other. A secret plan perhaps to get us joining in I think. How I miss sack races, throwing dads welly and jelly and egg and spoon races. Why don't they do them anymore, they were much more fun?

As soon as it was over I had to rush home to teach crochet. My Monday crochet group had to cancel this week, so I asked them to the cottage instead. I whipped up a lemon drizzle cake for everyone to have with their tea. As the lemony scent wafted its way around the house last night, Mr Bun kept asking when he was having a slice. So I had to share some in the name of research. It was still warm - ohhh how delicious. Hot cake is really the best.






After only two lessons one lady is already attacking granny squares and is loving thinking of all the possibilities. I started her on hexagons today which I'm also finding soothing to make. For me at the moment it's a battle between crochet and finishing my book. I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society and am completely drawn into the world of the characters and their island.

The other thing I should also be doing more of at the moment is gardening. I keep saying we can all do it together in the summer holidays. More procrastination than reality I think. I love seeing beautiful cottage gardens, but lack the inclination or the garden know-how to make it happen. So I'm always thrilled every year when I see so much beauty appear in our garden as if by magic. I can see in my head how it would all look - foxgloves, hollyhocks and lupins by the cottage and then a wildflower meadow with a shepherds hut in a secret orchard at the bottom of the garden. Meanwhile the reality is lots of weeds, a broken lawnmower and then pockets of beauty peeking out here and there.











13 comments:

  1. If you need any more testers for your lemon drizzle cake just give me a call!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon drizzle cake - yum! I haven't tried that one yet.

    Crochet hexagons - are they really easy?? I'm torn between trying a ripple or the hexagons.

    take care,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon drizzle really easy from a great book called Veggie Chic. Maybe I'll put it on next post. Problem is too yummy and now all gone.

    Mrs Bun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished you lived by me, then I would learn to crochet too, and definitely make a granny blanket!! I could also be a great cake tester, sigh...
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...crochet and cake...a perfect combination!! Gorgeous flowers too! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just discovered your blog and am enjoying looking at your past pages. I love crochet, too! It was very nice meeting you! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your Attwell biscuit tin is lovely and with that knitting sitting on the side she must be one of our original makers.
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be very rewarding to see one of your students flourish and grow. Your lucky students, being treated to lemon drizzle cake, which happens to be my most favourite cake. And aren't plants amazing? I'm always amazed to see my plants doing their thing!
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon drizzle cake!! yum!!

    Love the tin - just gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry too much about your garden, it looks great. Ours is exactly the same - on the surface it looks fine but look deeper and I can see it is a mass of weeds. I am thinking summer holiday job too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Lemon Drizzle cake, And I so Love your new tin! Its really pretty! Moe x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree about Sports Day - ours was yesterday - not a spud or a bean bag or a three legged in sight. Not even a Mum's Race - which ofcourse I would have won!

    Fleur
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I meant to say - snap with the tin - I think yours is lovely - but like you my kids often steal them too.


    Fleur
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...