Pages

Monday 12 October 2009

Memory Quilt


I've finally found out how to make a mosaic. Or is it that I actually had a look at my photo editor for the first time. I've wanted to make one of these for a while now so that's quite a bit of excitement for a Monday morning. Woohoo.

If you look closely at the pictures you can see I finished Little Bun's memory quilt. I put the last stitch in ten minutes before I was being picked up by friends to go out. The minute it was finished Little Bun was snuggled under it and Eldest Bun was asking when I was starting on hers.


I've really enjoyed making this. I didn't follow a pattern for it. Instead I found out the basics of quilt making and then pulled together the type of design I wanted from various quilts I had seen. I'd seen this fabric strip with a contrasting running stitch on a cushion in a magazine ages ago. This red spot strip is the part that pulls it all together for me. I edged it with some white sheeting so that it would stand out more.


I chose to tie the layers together with red thread as the thought of machine quilting all my work and risking getting it wrong didn't appeal.


An old sheet of the Bun's was the perfect size for the backing and so soft as it's been washed lots of times. I was really pleased I had half a metre of this blue spot with roses fabric for the binding as it ties in the main colours perfectly. You can probably see I machine stitched the two layers together just under the red spot strip. I didn't like how that part of the quilt flapped apart so it needed holding down a bit. Really it was a design that took shape as it was being made. Pretty much my favourite way of working.


Now the memory quilt is on Little Bun's bed with some of her cuddly friends. I love how it makes the bed look even more cosy.


Around the stitchy part of Saturday we all went for a walk to collect autumn stuff. My pink Boots have come out of the cupboard again.


The Bun's filled up their baskets with lots of goodies and then we ran back with hungry tummies. I'd made Butternut Squash soup again (with quite a lot of chillies this time - oooooo) and choccolatty Brownies for afters.


I love autumn. Comforting food, family walks and time to snuggle up and sew. Perfect.

21 comments:

  1. I love the way you have tied the pieces together at the corner of each square.. so much quicker than running a quilting stitch all the way around. I am making a quilt over winter, for the new sofa/bench seat in the summerhouse next year, and haven't decided yet whether to do the quilting of each piece separately, or do the corners as you have, so thanks for giving me an alternative. What weight wadding did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - I can imagine little bun is absolutely thrilled with it and will treasure it for every.

    So lovely, can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that quilt is the loveliest idea and it has turned out beautifully - you are clever! It really will be something to treasure forever.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful. The quilt I made my daughter last year is one of her most precious things, I know that when I work nights and she misses me, she has a little snuggle with it. I bet your little girl will treasure it for many years x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmm - definitely perfect.

    The quilt has turned out beautifully and I love the red polka dot edging.

    Have a lovely week,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeously cosy post in so many ways. The quilt will be treasured for many decades I am sure. I also know that many many bloggers will covet it. I know I do. What a lucky little bun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Quilt looks so pretty! The combination of colours and fabrics work really well together. I started one several months ago and look forward to having the time to go back to it. Such a wonderful way to remember them wearing a favourite dress or top! Your lille girls room is very pretty!
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt's so pretty and great fabrics. I'm determined to get on and make one, now I've seen yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt, so pretty :) I'm sure little bun will treasure it :)

    Loved your pink DMs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh its just gorgeous, a lovely memory quilt that I am sure will be treasured for years to come. I have an itch to make another larger quilt after the success of my last one, just need to get thinking about what style I want - half of me thinks hexagons, and the other thinks no no thats too tricky chose something easier! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful quilt and treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a really beautiful quilt, I love the red polka dot edging ........... and covet those pink boots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt looks lovely, I have all my girls clothes waiting for that very job...do you take commissions ?! Haven't had a chance to try out the Poppy Treffy book yet, first thing I need to do is work out if can drop the dog on my machine..I've lost the manual..and then hope to have a go at something small I'll let you know how I get on ,perhaps we can spur each other on ! Thanks for dropping by, take care Steph x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks amazing! I would love to have a go at making one, but think I need to get a bit more confidence going on the old sewing machine before I tackle something like that! Your pictures have inspired me loads! Have a fab day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little Bun's quilt looks amazing - can see why big sister can't wait to get hers :)

    Is making me look at my fabric stash to see if I've enough scraps for another quilt.

    Last one I made did have a pair of the boys boden combats cut up and sewn in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mrs bun that lovely quilt looks utterly gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!So so pretty! You did a great job! Have a sweet day! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your post! I have been wanting to make a memory quilt too, but I have to wait until my little guys are a bit bigger (because they really haven't been around long enough to have enough things to turn into a quilt!). I would love to have you drop by for a visit at Monkeyshine Business! I have seen you around and am one of your newest followers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. its lovely, really pretty, I've been looking at Joshys old clothes but most of them are cord and t.shirt fabric they dont seem to lend themselves to well to a memory quilt. boys! I gave his little summer shirts to my neighbour, im wishing i hadn't now! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely LOVE your quilt. It is the best I ever seen!

    I really must have a go and make one but I'm scared of the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the memory quilt!! Ciara had that pink kitty boden dress when she was young too! I made cushions out of it when she grew out of it!!!! and Asha has that sheet you used for the backing though it is still used but one day it will be stitched into something new!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...