Pages

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Nursey is a Wheeler Dealer

Rather than be at work today, I've been at home nursing a poorly Little Bun. She's been ill since Saturday evening, aching all over with a feverish temperature. It's burnt out at last today and she's back talking non-stop again, she just needs to get her energy back.


In between nursey duties I've fiddled about with the scarf I bought from Glory Days on Friday and added a plastic bow brooch from Daniella at Acorn & Will.  The scarf was made by someone I know called Fiona, but I can't find a link to her website to show you her other work. Isn't it the most gorgeous barkcloth, it's backed with grey felted wool to make it really cosy. It's the first new kind of thing I've had since taking up the Dottie Angel challenge and being handmade it's fine.


I've also worked on a few more blankie type things. The summertime ripple is half way through and I was getting bored going up and down, so I started on a dottie angel square blanket today. 


In the middle of all this I found a few grannies I started an age ago. I hope I get the ooommpph back to finish them up one day soon, otherwise I'll have a lot of unfinished blankets not keeping us warm.


The other thing I've been doing is to find a few things to put up for auction. Mr Bun and I both had our cars in the garage for mending and they were far more broken than we knew. The bills have been scary so we've had a search for things we don't mind selling to try and raise the money. The problem is that they all have stories behind them, but we have to be grown up I guess.


My mum bought this stunning cigarette case for my adopted birthday in the days when I used to smoke 30 a day. The dealer told her how an elderly lady had brought it in the day before as her husband had recently died. He was an American serviceman who had found it in an abandoned German staff car in Paris at the end of the war. 
 

With the engraving inside and the business card a whole untold story is there waiting to be solved. I imagine a romantic story of Paris, lovers, horses and exotic locations all ending in a war. I guess I should really try a bit of detective work before I pass it on.


Another birthday gift, but there are no tales to tell. A really sweet 1930's childrens nursery rhyme tea-set that comes out every now and again for dollies teaparties.


There are other bits and bobs, but I thought I'd just show you these three. The last thing I've decided to sell on is this stunning art deco Midwinter teapot. It was given to me as a wedding gift many years ago now. I say me because it was one of the few things I brought with me from a previous marriage. So it holds no precious memories, I just like it a lot. Right now I'd rather it was useful, I left the house behind and everything else of value so fingers crossed this is worth something.


For now I'll avoid the garage until I find the funds. Burying your head in the sand keeps you sane sometimes.

15 comments:

  1. Love the art deco teapot especially cos it's white so goes with anything (china wise of course). I know exactly how you feel big bills and no money, I'm in the process of sorting stuff to sell on ebay to help fund xmas as I'm not working. oh well at least bloggings free.
    Pene x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry money is short right now. I hope you're back in the black very soon. And that your Little Bun is back in the pink, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to here the littlest Bun is back to some normality - you can always tell can't you when the chatter comes back.

    take care,

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blankets to be, the colours are beautiful will be lovely when there finished ;-) The tea pot is gorg to. Good luck with your sales, life is set to try us at times but we have to keep smiling ;-). Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that little bun is feeling better, I hope she's fully better soon. It's no fun being poorly.
    Your crochet is looking lovely, hopefully you will have some snugly blankets soon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get some money for your treasures and they come in useful!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear little bun is feeling better. Not nice when they are ill.

    Sorry to hear things are a struggle at the moment. I think it is the same the country over. I'm finding it hard now I'm not able to work (don't claim anything), it is surprising how every little bit counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel!
    Wish I had something of value to sell LOL!
    Hopefully you'll be 'in the money' sooner rather than later!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your barkcloth scarf, beautiful!
    Hope Little Bun is on top form really soon. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I love your scarf, the fabric is beautiful. Sorry things are a bit tight at the moment, not much fun but something lovely will happen soon with luck. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the scarf. Would love details of where to get such beauties. Keep that fantastic ciggy case. V x

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the china and your crochet, your crochet is so colourful and cosy :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I love reading your blog! I've never left a comment before, but I couldn't resist: the name and the word "aandenken" on your cigarette case are definitely Dutch! Hope that helps with your detective work! Love from the Netherlands...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cars ggrrr, why do they have to cost so much bloomin money!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard to sell something when so much of what you have has a wonderful story behind it. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...