Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Back in the Saddle

Life did an about turn recently. A couple of weeks ago I was just finishing my mornings class when my phone rang. It was my mum's friend calling to tell me not to worry, but mum was in an ambulance heading to hospital. She had had serious chest pains and nearly passed out. This same friend was with her when dad died and had called me to come quickly. I felt calm when she called, but sick in the pit of my stomach. Luckily my man was teaching there that day too, so we both headed off. Fortunately no heart attack was detected, but mum stayed in overnight as her blood pressure was too low. I took the next day off and mum stayed with us. She only had a week to go before her angioplasty op so we told her to stay off work and not overdo it. For once she listened (she's stubborn).

The night before the operation was the girls school carol service in the Cathedral. It was a beautiful candlelit service with the various school choirs singing throughout. Afterwards I stayed the night with mum and took her to hospital the next day. I only realised how worried she was when she made sure I understood her final wishes and had promised to carry them out. I'd seen it as a fairly routine procedure, but afterwards a friend told me of her friend who had had a massive heart attack after hers. 

I was left feeling exhausted by it all and so blogging just fell by the wayside. I feel a bit out of the loop with it at the moment as I've not read any blog posts either. Today I just felt like stepping back in, so we'll see how it goes.


Around all the emotional hoo ha, I've been feeling pretty calm with the Christmas stuff. The girls broke up last Friday so we got our tree at the weekend. Grandma then stayed all weekend after she came out of hospital, which the girls loved.

Lately I've finished one major knitting thing which completely took me over for two weeks. Now I've got this jewel bright Rowan tweed yarn on my needles to knit me a christmas hat. Once done I'll be embroidering knots and flowers over it. It's a joy to knit with, I just need to plan some yarny thing for after christmas knitting cosied up with the choccie tin.


My big knitting thing was this beautiful textured shawl that I saw on Harmonie and Rosie. I used up some Rowan Cocoon I had so it's extra thick and snuggly soft. I fancied making it for me, but as I went along I decided my mum would like it more. No decent shots of me modelling it I'm afraid as they were all blurry. Just a snoozing Lily cat and a sofa to give you the general idea.


Other makes have been the secret kind that happen when girls are in bed and some Santa stockings for classmates. Each class has a secret Santa and the girls asked me to make something special to put their gifts in. In my head I fancied bright fabrics, but the lazy me wanted something I could sit by the fire and sew so the felt came out.


Other quick makes have been inspired by a picture in this months Country Living. Jam jars, rock salt, a bit of ribbon and three pretty night lights were ready to sparkle.


 I took advantage of an offer and grabbed new toadie plates for christmas too.


 Next in my head is an idea to make a shawl from this tartan I bought years ago to make a dress. I also love the feathery crown which has got me thinking. Usually we make crowns for Epiphany, but Christmas crowns would be ideal.


Around the time my mum went into hospital we had someone new come to live with us. 

Let me introduce you to the lovely Marmalade Monkey.


I first saw Marmalade on Ellie's IG feed. She was posting different lovelies for sale and when I saw a pink monkey I was smitten. Others asked if they could buy him, but luckily I was first to ask.  Poor Marmalade is missing a hand and foot at the moment and so limb surgery is booked for after christmas.

Ellie also really kindly popped in a couple of lavender pillows for Miss Rosey and Little Bun. An Alfie Blue look alike and a lamb are spot on and very loved.


Now as I write this a cooker mending man has just finished with my broken oven and it looks like we'll be back to making more yummy things again. These Peanut and Choc cookies from the Hummingbird Bakery book were very scrumptious indeed.


Now I'm off to watch films, do some felty sewing and eat sweets with my lovely girls. Later on we're meeting friends for pizza. Can't be bad can it.

28 comments:

  1. Missed you...my goodness you have had quite a time! Good news on your mom though. Scary time. Glad for you all is back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so for your kind words Linda. Very much appreciated you know.
      x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're back blogging again. I've missed your posts and photos of your lovely makes. That shawl is beautiful- perfect present for your Mum. Hope she's doing well.
    Wishing you, your Mum and family a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy your day!
    Marion
    Ps. Those jam jar night lights is a clever idea. I might try it too. And hello to Marmalade Monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy my posts Marion and thank you for your well wishes. Have fun with the jam jars as it's so quick and easy, very satisfying.
      X

      Delete
  3. Hello Lovely, I'm glad you're back, gosh what a roller coaster ride you've been on. I'm glad you were there to support your mum and look after her, it's horrible to see them so vulnerable, but I just think of all those time they were there for us so it's only fair! You look like your enjoying the lead up to the festivities.....I for one can't wait until Friday as were all break up for Christmas and can chill! Friends had asked us to join them in London, love the idea.....not sure I'm up for the crowds though! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London sounds tempting, but I know what you mean about the crowds. All the years I lived there it was fine, but now when I can avoid tons of people I prefer that. Enjoy whatever you do my lovely.
      X

      Delete
  4. Hi Lisa- I've also been a bit out of the bloggy loop.......don't know why really but I do think it ebbs and flows with your emotions! So glad your mum is ok. As for this beautiful post....... Well marmalade looks very happy and I'm addicted to that ck Toadie design too. Have a peaceful run up to Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Emma, blogging has always been emotional for me and when I'm fed up or tired then I just go empty headed about writing anything.
      X

      Delete
  5. Glad you are back and your Mum is on the mend. It must have been terribly stressul for you all. Hopefully you can sit back and relax over Christmas now. My house seems to be falling apart at the moment - dishwasher broken, tumble drier broken, water leaking from a tap, ill car and a very very naughty but lovely Italian Spinone who likes eating Venetian blinds! We are moving soon and I am worried there won't be a house left for my buyers to live in! Off to wash up now (if I can remember how) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear me, had wondered where you were, Lisa, and so sorry to hear about your mum - what a fright for you all. I see she has had her op and is home safe and well - what lovely news to go into the Christmas holiday with! So pleased for you. You must be physically and emotionally exhausted - look after you, don't forget.
    Love that wool, especially the blue speckled, I am drooling after it! And I do know what you mean about felt, I am well into wool and felt at the moment because of the gorgeous colours and how forgiving and easy to sew it is. Enjoy the simplicity. Bets wishes to your mum and to you too. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Lisa,
    What a worrying time you have been through....I am sorry to hear this, but so happy your Mum is on the mend.
    I did wonder where you were, thinking to myself that you had probably taken off to the Caribbean for christmas!!!
    Maybe next year then..lovely to have you back..it is funny how 'outof it' we feel when not blogging..
    bestest to you and your family
    Daisy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness what a lot of ups and downs you have had. I hope that your Mum is well on the way to mending now and that life in the new year will be good. Your makes and knitting and so on are all lovely, and you seem to have managed a lot, despite not having a lot of time. Wishing you and your family well and all the best for Christmas and a great 2014. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lisa that was quite the worrying time ... so glad your Mum is on the mend and that you are relaxing into the festive season ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely things here Lisa but what a worrying time you have had. It sounds like things are back on the up now and you will have a lovely family Christmas x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooo gosh, what a worry! hope all settles down soon and your mum is back to full health! your creativity is rocking...so many projects and gorgeous things xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your mum is on the mend now. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How worrying but glad you're Mum's listening to you. Have a happy Christmas. Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a worrying time for you. I hope your Mum is making good progress and that you all have an enjoyable Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. time to comfort and nurture yourself too! glad your Mum's okay and I'm sure she will love the shawl. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you and your family a very lovely and chilled out Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry about your mom, but so glad she is okay, and hope she is feeling better! Beautiful shawl!! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do hope your Mum is completely well again now Lisa.

    Have a wonderful Christmas in the Bobobun household x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a worrying time for you Lisa, really do hope your mum is feeling much better now and I am sure she will adore your textured shawl, it looks so cosy and warm. Lovely to have you back, i have missed your colourful and inspiring posts. Wishing you all a really joyous Christmas and special family memories xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a rollercoaster you have been on, i hope that your mum is well on the road to recovery, have a family filled and relaxing festive season, with no more nasty surprises, the shawl looks beautiful, and so do the cookies! Looking forward to catching up in 2014, Catx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely to see a new post from you, but I'm so sorry to read your mum has been poorly. I hope she is on the mend and feeling tiptop for the festive fun.
    Lots of lovely makes done and more on the way by the looks of things.
    Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely to have you back - missed you! Hope your Mum is doing well and you are all able to have a wonderful Christmas and that 2014 is a good year for you. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Merry Christmas my dear friend
    Bless
    Nina***

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very sorry to hear your mother has been poorly,hope she is on the mend.
    Wishing you and yours Lisa a magical Christmas time...Merry Merry Christmas!

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...