Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Oh No You Didn't!

Last night we went to Pantoland. We discovered the delights of this theatre last year and so I booked for another post-Christmas outing. Goldilocks and the Three Bears were played out against the backdrop of Gertie Glitters circus in this wonderful Edwardian theatre. The setting is as much part of the excitement for us as the panto itself. For half the price of panto's where the stars are all well known faces there is more of a treat on offer.


 The building is a feast to look around at. I find the bar where we buy our pre-panto drinks and nibbles so cosy and inviting with walls covered in posters of shows long gone. Apologies for the hazy snap of those beautiful art nouveau tiles and lack of other photos.

Drinks bought we take them to our own small table, rather than sitting squished in rows (which is painful when you all have very long legs). I've found I'm partial to sipping a G & T while shouting "Behind You". In fact it's really liberating to be able to yell and sing loudly for a couple of hours. The table beside us was full with young men. They whooped and hollered to the point where I think they thought the gorilla was real when they were pointing and shouting where it had gone. I'm so glad that everyone gets the chance to be as daft as a brush now and again.


Now on to knitting news as I want to squish in my last make of 2013 before the numbers change. I finished knitting my new hat on that quiet day you get just after all the festive shenanigins. I chose a Rowan Tweed yarn speckled with gold to knit up Rakes Moss from an old Lousia Harding book called Little Cake. The band of the hat was fun to knit as it makes for a very stretchy fabric by moving the yarn back and forth and slipping stitches inbetween.


Afterwards I embellished with a few French knots and lazy daisies in 4ply cotton. I fancy adding the feather suggested, but have still to find that - my man is keen that I don't find it.

As Mrs Bertimus asked for a picture of me in said hat, I've obliged. Miss Rosey took a few, but I kept talking or laughing too much so this is the best we had. I'm not being vain really, it's just I never look how I think I look in photos so it throws me completely.


Here's another wee someone who had a new hat for Christmas from Miss Rosey, plus a special tin from Little Bun to keep all his treats in.


As I collected together photos for my new year and fifth blog birthday post (I'm trying to be organised) I noticed that winter is very much a time of knitting and summer more for crochet and sewing. In true tradition I've started various things in my need to try everything at once. 

I've looked at the pictures in this book for too long now and so I decided to get some cobweb yarn and jump in. Now I like a lot of the patterns in here, but I really don't enjoy knitting on small needles. I get bored easily if it's a big project in stocking stitch alone so that helped me make my choice. Actually I got the yarn before I chose. I'd popped out to refill the food cupboards and found myself in the yarn shop instead. It's a proper old style shop where you can put your yarn away and buy it each week as you need. I found a lovely dirty snow colour I liked which is actually called parchment, but had no idea how many balls I'd need as I didn't know what I'd be knitting. Therefore enough have been stashed and I'll see how I get on with this new knitting challenge of fluffy yarn and teeny needles.


I've chosen, perhaps too ambitiously, to knit this short cardi with a cable pattern. Wish me luck.

Far more simpler was the other yarn I chose to knit up some simple garter stitch wristwarmers.
Alongside these I had a rootle in the stash and have started two head warmer thingies for the girls. One in cable for Miss Rosey and one in rib with the request of a bow just like her friends one. In other bags I have a sleeve to be finished on a pink cardi started this summer and the beginnings of some fairisle mittens. 

Whilst it's lovely to finish up these projects and get to wear them, a large part of the joy for me is the making. I love trying out new yarns, techniques and seeing how colours work together. I think there's most definately enough knitting here to keep me going for the next few months don't you.



Well that's me done for 2013.

Thank you so much for all your kind birthday wishes. Indeed I must thank you for stopping by, saying hello and leaving me a word or two aswell. It means a lot to know that you enjoy reading my blog and seeing what we've been up to. As much as I might write this blog as a snapshot of our days, I also write it with you in mind, wondering if you might be interested in what I am sharing.

Now all that remains is for me to wish you a Happy New Year and to say I'll see you once more in 2014 with a birthday giveaway to celebrate.

18 comments:

  1. What a fab hat - and a lovely portrait! I look forward to seeing the cobwebby wool progress - brave choice there but I'm sure it will be lovely. Have a wonderful new year x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane and Happy New Year to you too. x

      Delete
  2. Fab hat suits yoooo,
    Wishing you the bestest year ever in 2014
    Lots of love Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fancy the bestest year ever I really do. Thanks Daisy J X

      Delete
  3. hello lovely you..
    happy belated birthday..
    gorgeous hat and pic...
    blimey that yarn looks thin and tricky - good luck!
    annnnnddddd...
    happiest of happy new year blessings and wishes to you and your family
    t xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Tracy, thin yarn being ignored at the mo as it all went pear shaped.
      Happy New Year lovely one.
      X

      Delete
  4. Oh I love your hat ... so pretty ... the panto looked fab ... wishing you a wonderful 2014 ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same wishes to you and your lovely family Bee X

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful theatre. You are very lucky to have such a place to visit. I adore the hat, wish I could wear them but since my hair change they dont do a lot for me ( or the hair). Good Luck with the new project, I dont think i would have the patience for that , but it does look lovely. Happy New year to you too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. As for hats I think I look awful in them, but I get dreadful earache so needs must.
      X

      Delete
  6. I hope that you have a great 2014 and I look forward to your anniversary post! Happy New Year!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing!
    Thank you so much for taking the photo, I had a right surprise seeing my name on your blog! I felt all famous for a fleeting second!
    Ha!
    A very happy New Year to you and your lovely family x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, very much and Ha indeed you daft thing.
      X

      Delete
  8. What a fun night at the panto you've had! I like the theatre too--what a great venue.
    Oooh, I love that hat you've made. So pretty and you look lovely wearing it. You are really very good with those knitting needles, I am sure your cardi- and all your other knitting projects- will turn out lovely.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. Wishing you a happy new year and all the best for 2014!
    Marion x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind of you Marion. Happy New Year. X

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year, and thank you for being a lovely blogging friend!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say, thank you Claire. Happy New Year. x

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...