Pages

Friday 26 October 2012

Firsts

I stayed up very very late last Sunday. I was getting so close to finishing knitting my first ever glove and I just couldn't wait until the next day to see what it would look like. I'm very impatient like that.

Knitting for me (well any making to be honest) is a mixture of excitement about the yarn or material I'm using and what it might end up looking like. Then I start worrying that I might do something wrong somewhere along the line and wonder if it will all have been a waste of time. Then I get really impatient and want to see what my thing will look like when it's all done. I tend to flip between these daft feelings along the making process.



After the excitement of finding a glove pattern that made me want my own pair badly I searched out some yarn in my stash that would be ideal. I really wanted a yellow pair to be honest, but no yellow to be had at the time so off I went with a very warm blue merino and alpaca yarn.


Only a few rounds in I did what I always worry I'll do and cocked it up at first. I took my eye of the ball so I frogged away. Next time round and I had the hang of the pattern. It was flicking between the thumb increase and the lace pattern that threw me off. I'd never bothered with markers before either, but after the shouty comment that made me laugh about this I was put right.


Four fingers and one thumb later and I realised I'd actually made something that looked human hand shaped. When I slipped it on it fitted too.


I'm so proud of my first knitted glove. To have one glove though is not much use to me with my two hands to keep warm is it, I really must get on with knitting that other blue glove very soon. Thing is, I did find the perfect eggy yellow yarn and I couldn't resist the temptation to see how it knitted up. I'm halfway through glove number two which is a different colour and also a left hander. At the moment I'm not sure if it'll fit as I forgot to go up a needle size. I'll have to wait and see I guess.


Thankyou for your interesting comments on my graveyard post. I did wonder if it would actually be anyone's cup of tea, so I'm really pleased it was. 

Now we have half-term excitement. Miss Rosey finished mid-week and Little Bun today. Tommorow a vintage fair and fleamarket beckon to kick off the week perfectly for us. We have a Little Bun to dress for an evacuee day so I'll be looking for a wee knitted cardi or jumper for her. Any other treasures that flit past my eye I may find it hard to resist.

29 comments:

  1. Love the glove - gorgeous colour too. Have a wonderful half term - bet you're in need of it. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be more exhausted after a week of pre-teen raging hormonal mood swings Karen.

      Delete
  2. You have chosen a gorgeous glove pattern. I don't think I'd have the patience to make gloves, not knitted ones that is. So I'm in awe of not only your knitting abilities but your patience too.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been praised for my patience before Anne. Not something I have in huge amounts. Thankyou for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. your gloves are gorgeous!!!!
    xxxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're fabulous. I know exactly what you mean and discussed it with my sister who is a most competant and prolific knitter only last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous gloves....and wow, your first, you look an accomplished glove knitter already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a hell of a lot of concentration Faith mind you. x

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous glove! Love the blue and admire your determination to keep at it. I am terrible if it all goes wrong I get fed after a third attempt. I have a back of a jumper I had a go at at the begining of the year. I keep looking at it and wishing I had the courage to finish it. I actually enjoyed the knitting not so much making it into any shape or pattern though! lol.

    My girls finished a couple of day ago so it is halloween ahoy for them now. Hope you find a lovely jumper for your Little bun and her vacuee day.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you Paula I've a few cardi's in bags that I never finished for the girls when they were tots as they grew while I was knitting (slowly). Happy days to you too. x

      Delete
  7. Wow, I'm impressed! Far too complicated for my skill level. I dream of one day knitting my own socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will. I just jumped in to find out as I went along. x

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful glove Lisa!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb! and looks very complicated too....are you making another?!
    Pls post pic of the pair too as they are gorgeous.
    I have trouble making two the same when I have to do pairs and find I really really have to concentrate with no talking at the same time!
    Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle concentrating too Daisy. Usually do these when everyone asleep so I can count all the rows and stitched to myself. x

      Delete
  10. Wow, that is an impressive glove Lisa, when I was reading your description of being impatient and wanting to see what the finished make would look like NOW, it rang too true in my ears, for you described me in fact! I have been known to stay up to silly hours and then frog it all in frustration!
    Happy half term, could we get miss Rosey and miss Alipops together for a hormonal harmony, she is testing me somewhat these days... what on earth has happened? I'm sure I didn't argue quite as much with my mum over the most trivial of things!! grrrr. Have a fabby time xox Penelope
    ps. I adore graveyards (ok that sounds weird), they fascinate me a whole lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you knitted in the same love hate way as me Penelope. Daughters huh at this funny age will probably age us twenty years in ten minutes. Good luck. x

      Delete
  11. I think when you wear these gloves you must ALWAYS carry that notebook around with you, they match perfectly! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my Lisa! it's beautiful!
    Sometimes people ask me what i prefer; crocheted items or knitted
    items because i like to do both...well...when i see these gloves
    of yours i definately choose knitted items, so beautiful :-)
    I really hate patterns as it comes to sewing or crocheting, but when
    it comes to knitting i like the difficult patterns, the ones where you
    have to count and count and you can't watch the telly while you count and
    you need to make a drawing of the pattern so you understand what they mean and.....

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you're as much in love with the hard patterns too. They keep me much more interested Maartje.
      X

      Delete
  13. So gorgeous ... you are very clever ... can't wait to see the lovely yellow one ... have a great week and enjoy the break for midterm ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, I've never mastered this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...