Pages

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Hook in Hand

If someone asked me what's your favourite thing to make I just couldn't tell them. I've never been too good at coming up with favourite anything's anyway. I love patching, knitting, making clothes and toys and a wee bit of embroidery (but not loads so this wouldn't be at the top of my list if I had to make one).

On Sunday I laid down my knitting, put the patching to one side and picked up my hook once more. Two things had inspired me recently to want to get back to my crochet again. I'd seen a second hand blanket on Stitchy all edged in pink and stored it away in my head with all the other images I like a lot. Then a comment from Colour in a Simple Life mentioning me not crocheting for a wee while got me thinking. I realised I'd been too long with just the quilts and knitting, a change was needed. It was all rainy outside so it was the perfect curl up by the fire and hook away kind of day. By the end of Sunday I'd a decent pile of flower burst grannies worked up using leftover Amy Butler yarn all soft and fairly chunky to work with.


With the clocks falling backwards I even had an extra hour this morning to get back to my growing flowery pile. Mr B caught the 7.30 bus, I tiptoed downstairs to quieten Alfie Blue who was yelling at him from the back of the sofa to stay home and cuddle a while. Then I saw all the colourful yarn and suddenly yarn was more tempting than my bed. I might have taken it back to bed, but I'd left a 12 year old sleeping up there who'd come in with a nightmare.


Little Bun joined me some time later with a bowl of cereal. She chatted merrily, I listened, hooked and nodded.  We had a chat about her favourite colours and then out of the blue she named this thing that I bravely think I might make up in to my first ever finished blanket. Little Bun called it the Bubblegum Blanket and I liked that a lot being as it was the pink that got me onto it in the first place.


In the middle of this early day peace the Postie suddenly banged loudly on the door. Most times it's just a pile of certificates from the exam board to hand out to our students (Mr Bun being his own mobile college). Today the package was soft and squishy and I'd been warned to expect it. 

Ada of Vintage Sheet Addict had chatted with me about sending some more bits of colour my way. I was blown away by her kindness in sending me so many wonderful pieces to play with. It's taken me a while to get my head around the sheer generosity in this corner of blogland from the supportive comments, the fun and chats to favours done and gifts sent on. I've an idea of the gift I'll be sending her way and there are a few others which I really have been meaning to post on as well. I'm just rubbish sometimes at getting my act together.



Midday I managed to sneak in a trip to the yarn shop to add a few more colours to the choice pile. When we got home Little Bun got back to creating her Lego village, Miss Rosey got her art stuff out and that left me with a spare moment or two of hooking time. This one's getting addictive to be honest. I'm loving seeing how all the different colours work together. I'm trying out some colours that I wouldn't normally fancy together and then feeling really surprised when I love it.


Each one I look at becomes a favourite. I might go off them when it comes to sewing in ends and stitching it all together mind you.


Usually I join as I go to save all the extra work at the end, but this time I've left the squares on their own waiting to be sewn together. That way I can fiddle about with them all until I get the colour combination I want.


Little Bun and I did have a wee play with them before they went back in the basket at teatime. I think I'm going to like this one a lot. I'll definitely keep nagging myself to finish this one.



31 comments:

  1. I think this is going to look amazing..... The colours are stunning and I can't believe how quickly you have put it all together.... Keep going can't wait to see the finished articlle..... Happy crafty days x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your "bubblegum Blanket"!!!! good work and lovely colours!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crafty family! Loving the blanket :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bubblegum blanket is going to be fab! Perfect for snuggling under.
    I like to crochet my squares together as I can get a much tidier finish that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been lazy in the past, but I'll follow your way this time. I think it'll be a real snuggler too.

      Delete
  5. ooooh lovely! I love the colours in the one in the top left hand corner
    Happy hooking

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's beautiful. I love the bubblegum pink! If I had to choose a favourite square it'd be the one in the middle with lime, turquoise and lilac.
    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful colours and that yarn is so lovely and soft it definitely my favourite to use. Except try not to wash it on 40 degrees like I did last night when I shrunk my baby's cardigan. I could have cried. I now need to do it again I can't believe I didn't press the hand wash button!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have cried with you, something like that after all your hard work.Ever since I've shrunk favourite woolies I daren't put them in the machine anymore. I handwash it all now.

      Delete
  8. It looks fab! I have a picture of a granny blanket with all the edges in pink on my pInterest board. It is very pretty. I haven't crocheted in ages but I did just think about it the other night. Cold dark nights and roaring fire seem to call for crochet? Look forward to seeing your progress.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flit from one thing to the other Hen and then get absorbed in that thing for a while. I think sitting by the fire makes you get the yarn out anyways.

      Delete
  9. These look beautiful, I can't wait to see it finished xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined this one will be finished Emma so hopefully you'll see it soon.

      Delete
  10. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! Those yarn colors are fantastic, they look great together. I wish I could crochet, I just can't seem to fathom it out, the first granny square I tried ended up looking like a pair of lips!!! Glad you like the fabric, I'm sure you will put it to good use! Thank YOU, for all the colourful loveliness you send our way! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, how Pretty or 'Bubblicious' remember them?
    I hope you get to finish this, I've yet to complete a biggie.
    They usually end up as cushions after 8 squares!
    I will be watching....
    bestest Daisy J

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally fabbie! Can you post the pattern for the starburst square? I could probably figure it out but would like to know I am on the right track.

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is looking so so lovely. I love that pink edging too, and your daughter's very inspired name. My little girl would be swooning. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous ... I too need to get back to my crochet ... I bob along flitting from one project to the next in true Gemini style ... I think it's OK though it means I never get tired of anything ... if only I could get more things completed quickly though :) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, you're prolific with that hook when you get going. I wouldn't normally choose pink either but I'm loving the look of these colour combos. It's the putting it all together that would really put me off so all you blanketeers have my total admiration. I'll look forward to the big ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful colours, the combinations just sing out and always, when I see colourful stuff like this, it makes me want to go and buy yet more yarn and start yet another blanket. What am I to do with all these blankets??? There's only the two of us, and only one of us uses a blanket as a snuggly now the evenings are drawing in. It's the same with cushions, a person only needs so many don't they? What do I do with all these cushions then? I could always stop making blankets, quilts, cushions, bags, scarves etc., couldn't I?
    www.hometalesfromanorfolkbroad.blogspot.co.uk
    Found you via Thriftwood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha, result! Loving the pink edging.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a very productive extra hour, I ended up just sleeping - it didn't even occur to me I could do anything else! Little Bun's spot on calling it the Bubblegum blanket isn't she? Well done her (and you!), I love it. You just can't beat a bit of pink sometimes.
    I've got the beginning of a granny square blanket hiding somewhere in my craft cupboard that really needs finishing. Maybe if I'de gone with a more interesting square pattern like yours and some nicer wool it would have progressed a bit further by now, who knows!
    Look forward to seeing the finished blanket soon :)
    aLittleBlonde

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful crochet Lisa, loving the bright colours!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The colours are lovely - have you decided what colour you are going to use to join them? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Bubblegum name is just right! I love to put the unusual colours together and then regret my abundance of colours when I get to the sewing in the ends part!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  22. How strange, I'm not a 'pink' girlie, but I love this! And yes, what else could you call it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant name and I love how it's looking so far. Hope you're having a cosy half term.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello lovely Lisa
    Your little Bun is a clever girly with a good eye for naming her mum's lovely hooky blanket. It's so cheerful and pretty Lisa, I just LOVE it. I do! Keep going and persevering with finishing it, it's going to be so worth it. I have just blocked my retro circle blanket squares this evening after staring at them for weeks. It helped that I blocked them on the lounge floor in front of catch up telly!
    Also, regarding the Mollie Makes Christmas craft book, I wasn't sure either because I love to page through a craft book before I buy it, then I found it last week in a fabric shop in Lewes and I had a good chance to get a "feel" of it and I loved what I saw. I wanted the templates in the back which I can then adapt to my own style if you know what I mean. At £9.99 I think its worth it in my humble opinion. Hope that helps :o) xox P, enjoy the rest of the half term with your special girls x

    ReplyDelete
  25. the Amy Butler yarn looks lovely, I haven't tried it yet. It's going to be a lovely blanket, stay with it! Nice colourful post, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello old girl, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful as always! jx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...