Pages

Friday 5 October 2012

Toadstools

Huddled by the fire each evening this week I've been switching between needles and the hook. Little Bun's wristwarmers are coming along nicely indeed, but their progress had to be halted while I hooked up a toadstool for a certain someone (no names mentioned as they might be reading this).


As I worked on another toadstooly friend I got to thinking about my love of red and white spotted toadstools. Thinking back I know it all started with the illustrations I saw in Mabel Lucie Atwell's and Enid Blyton's books when I was wee.


I was absolutely drawn into these magical worlds where Bunty had adventures with the Boo's. Children made friends with woodland creatures and fairies before going onto wonderful adventures all before teatime. I loved the conker seats that had legs made of pins and the acorn cups the Boo's drunk from. I even made a few of my own to try and lure some Boo's to my room.


In each of these tales there was always a jolly spotted toadstool to sit upon, hide from the rain under or just to admire and make you feel the world was an even better place.


When I stopped being wee I started collecting toadstools of my very own.


When I wandered about our cottage I realised there are quite a few of these red and white spotted things hereabouts. Truth be told I haven't included all of them here for fear of overloading you.


I do wish I could find more of these pesky pixies though as they make me feel good too.


I think the love of this red and white spotted funghi comes from my need for all things nostalgic and cheery. Things that have come with me from my childhood and remain with me to remind me I'm still a kid at heart really.

What's not to love about them really?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    You're right toadstools definitely have a feel good factor! I dreamt of living in one when I was little. Those illustrations are lovely and I spotted a very sweet hedgehog card. My youngest is hedgehog mad!
    Have a good weekend.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I partial to a toadstool and anything spotty too! Love you toadstool looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful vintage
    love,love thr house elf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Fafaway Ttree books when I was little, I found the whole world she created in them just enchanting! Moon-face, Silky, mr Saucepan man, the children and that amazing slide! I would read them over and over again, dreaming about the lands that stopped at the top! Yes Lisa, I get your love of toadstools! It's good that a little bit of us stays young, well in our hearts anyway! Have a great weekend! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My iPad thinks it can spell again! Should, of course, be Faraway Tree! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh toadstool love. I want to make some. They are soooo cute. Oh you are too clever xxx C

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just magical, love your little crochet toadstool, they always remind me of my favourite little dress I used to wear when I was child, it so pretty smothered in toadstools!
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love toadstools too ... they are magical ... and red and white ... what a great colour combination ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love toadstools as a house, a little door and window. And a safe place to be in the woods. Red with white spots perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree Lisa!

    There is just something so happy and cheery about a toadstool that makes me smile. I have a little collection of my own too and they alway cheer me up no end.

    Wishing you all a lovely weekend.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Polka dotty happy...I just love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love toadstools too! They are so cheery and always bring a smile to my face! Loving your little crochet one!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much loveliness, I do so love toadtstools AND Mabel Lucie Atwell, and of course the wonderful Enid Blyton. Your crochet mushroom is gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh lovely toadstools and pixies - a nice bit of Atwell thrown into the mix and it is perfecto mundo. I wish I could crochet....
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...