Pages

Sunday 14 October 2012

Frogging

Knitting up the July Gloves from Knitting Everyday Finery is really enjoyable, but boy oh boy it really is the hardest pattern I've ever tackled. I've frogged once already. I didn't concentrate as much as I needed to and then I paid the price. This most certainly is a concentrating very hard pattern, but it's a challenge I'm enjoying. I've learnt more and more about this knitting lark over the years by just jumping in and having a go. This time if it works I've learnt more and my hands will be super toastie too.


This pattern involves knitting in the round, working a lace pattern, tackling a few new (to me) stitches and then working two separate patterns at the same time (which was where my concentration slipped and the frogging thing happened).


Second time round it was all going really well until I forgot which row I was on so I just guessed. Wrong guess, though it'll work enough for me. If I frog this glove again then I know it'll end up being half a glove for one hand only. I'm still enjoying knitting it at the moment so here's hoping I don't screw it up.


Something else I got wrong which I faffed up as opposed to frogged was the new quilt I started last week. I didn't properly count up the triangle squares I'd need. My quick and rubbish adding up has left me 132 squares short if I want to make the larger snuggle everyone under it quilt I fancied.

Lesson learnt. Take more time working it all out first rather than getting all excited about a project and jumping straight in.

15 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up with your enthusiasm Lisa, I too get super excited and then seriously regret it later down the line :o) Those gloves look a little too complicated for me, I think I might just be able to give them a go but it would involve stitch counters, pen and paper to write down rows and numbers on etc and basically my FULL attention which I simply cannot do. I always have to be listening to the radio or having a conversation when I knit. Maybe I'll grow into being more mature about my uni-rather than multi-tasking when knitting!!!
    I see so many lace edged shawls and other accessories which I would love to knit but I cannot master that need for sheer concentration yet...ho humm, maybe one day!
    By the way , that yarn colour is rather delicious xox Hope you don't need to frog any more or end up with a Michael Jackson, one glove lady look :o) !!! xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have had you down as an expert knitter Penelope seeing the things you make up. Go on I dare you to jump in, Penny would offer up sage advice too I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Ummmmmmm, what's this frogging thing? Forgive me I come from a land down under......
    Other than that, I too get a pattern book go straight to the back pages where the more complicated designs are placed and start there. Lifes too short to ease in......mistakes are how we learn, make more learn a lot, stay safe learn not much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogging's rip it, rip it, rip it as I learnt a while back Susan. Buggering it up and starting again works just as well.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stitch marker goes on the needle not through the stitch !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, you sound angry about the way I've done it Geraldine. Interesting!

      Delete
  5. Well, I've never heard the term frogging before, but actually, I'm an expert at it! I'm an expert at something I didn't know excited! How cool is that!
    There's only one thing to do Lisa, cut up some more fabric, we all are dying to see the finished blanket! You gloves will be great, I'm sure! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can now say with complete confidence Ada "I can frog you know, do you frog"?

      Delete
  6. That does look quite intricate, but I love the colour of your wool.
    Liz & Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blinking intricate Liz, I hope it's worth it.

      Delete
  7. You look like you know whats what! I love hand knitted gloves, my mother used to make loads for us when we were growing up, a shame I never appreciated how clever she was. Socks too! I have one unfinished sock on lovely new needles in a super yarn, lurking at the bottom of my workbasket,it mocks me every time I go past!
    Go Girl... Love your blog, love hearing about North Norfolk, my old hunting ground!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your frustration. There's nothing worse on a knitting project than thinking you've cracked the pattern and then realizing you've gone wrong somewhere - all that time wasted. Love the quilt.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the quilt ... hope you make some extra squares ... as for the knitting ... I haven't got a clue so am in awe of your lovely knits ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why not just jump in, I do! But I've jumped back out of knitting in the round!!!!!!! I just can't do it, I can't seem to hold all the needles and not drop half my stitches. So well done you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I read all of them and really appreciate you taking the time to say hello.
I always try to get back and reply, but sometimes this may take a bit longer as pets and children always seem to need attention around here.

Bobo X

Me Made May 2018

This month I'm taking part in Me Made May, hosted by Zoe of  Sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com .  Oh and if you head on over to her blog y...